When trying a new cigar, how many do you buy ?

Joined Oct 2012
1K Posts | 45+
Connecticut
I usually buy five or more, but if you don't like the cigar that means you have four more to get rid of. Lately, I've been buying singles or two or three unless the price is attractive for a larger amount(usually a recommended cigar).

So what do you do or recommend ?

When buying new cigars that I have never tried, I will almost always buy only three. This applies whether I have heard good reviews or I have heard nothing at all. The reason is simple: I smoke all three and average the results. If two or three are bad, then the cigar type is bad and I won't buy it anymore. If two or three of the bunch are good, then likely it is a solid cigar and maybe one of the three was just a dud. I can't do this reasoning with only two cigars. I also think it is fair to let the cigars rest in my humidor for at least a month before applying this test.

DL

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a good practice. I can only recall one cigar that would have defied the system where the first 3 of 5 were bad and the next two were fairly good. But, I didn't like them enough to buy any more anyway.

why buy 5, if you stop smoking after the first one is a dud?

I almost always only smoke one cigar when trying new. If it doesn't "wow" me with one, it most likely wont get a second chance.

I'm price conscious and I'll smoke about anything when working in the garden or yard so the cigars that don't make the cut get smoked in the non-winter months. I even have a bunch of crappy brands I keep buying for yard work. I do have 3 professor Silas that seem to be constantly overlooked along with the sole survivor of a 5 pack of Gurkha's that I do not like. Still can't decide how many LFD's to buy for a try-out-but I'm at full cigar capacity so there's time.

If I have sticks I know I will not smoke, I either bomb them away to someone who might possibly like like, or even better, donate them to the troops. Most cigar forums have a Troop Support section with someone who coordinates that.

Tony,

You won't regret the LFDs. They are great.

DL

I tend to agree with Dustinl, as I live in the middle of no where I get 95% of my cigars shipped UPS or FED X ( 2 1/2 hour drive to the closest real town 3 1/2 to one with a cigar shop ), I do live right across the Okanogan river from the Colvile Indian reservation and can some times talk on of the smoke shop owner's into getting me something like Cuban Delight's that are ok, anyway I usually can't wait to try a new stick but normally due to shipping they are not so good, but have found some real jewels after sitting for a month or more ( minus my swelling problem )

I've been told or read that cigars should "rest" in the humidor at least a couple of days before you smoke them. I'm always tempted to try something new-maybe because I'm afraid I'll lose them in one of the humidors- like that fiver of flor de oliva's I keep looking for.

I have reached the point where I wait two to three day's before trying new shipments, still want to light up right away to find that new favorite smoke though, just a quick thought after posting yesterday, had a major brain fart after reading and posting, I already pay top dollar for some of my favorite stogies ( current two are Flor de las Antillas, given one by a friend -box press I know but not into the image thing a good stick is a good stick- and Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino Sungrown ) so whats 15.00 more for over night shipping, we'll see if that help's with the whole month long wait period

It really depends on what I am buying. If it's Habanos, well I am most likely buying a whole box. Anything else, I like to buy fivers. I like to smoke one right away, then let the others rest for at least a month.

Resting my cigars is my policy too. If it is one I know I will like, I usually will smoke one right out of the shipping box, but generally any cigar you receive will be better after a nice rest. To that end, I stock up in winter - when my smoking is cut back a bit - and let them rest till spring, then I just start puffing away like a mad man.

Some good advice. I tend to buy 5 pack deals. Not too many times that I bought a box. None really wowed me, but i keep coming back. I had one cigar that just tasted aweful. Tried again two months later, and it drastically improved.