Who thinks bigger is better?

Joined Nov 2005
114 Posts | 0+
MI
OK, I was having fun with the title.

Who likes Churchill size cigars and larger? I am a fan of the larger sized cigars provided I have the time I prefer a Churchill.

So what do you guys think?

I love Robusto or Rothschild. 5X50 is a perfect size. I like the Churchills, but they are a workout for me, so I only smoke them if I have a good meal and a long time to smoke it.
I also really like box pressed cigars. There is just something about them that I like.

i used to love the panatella. long sleek and elegant

then i liked the corona... thin like the panatella but more filler, not as hot.

as of right now i like the toro.

its like a short churchill...
or a long robusto.

a good 50 x 6
any more than 50 is a bit much for me. as far as how long it is, it all depends on the time. less time ill have a robusto. more time, ill have a churchill. most of the time ill have a toro.

the toro is a cool smoke. long lasting. relaxing. tons of filler to blend and make it interesting. it may just be me but the larger the ring, the more taste it has.

one of my favorites right now is the camacho havana in the toro size. very rich. very strong. smokes in just the right amount of time.

Robusto is my favorite with Toro running a close second. I'm a fan of the bigger ring gauges as well, probably my favorite size/gauge combo is the LGC Serie R' #6. Churchills are nice but the above mentioned sizes do a little more for me.

I'm with Cloudy, Robustos and Toros are my top picks. I only grab a Churchill if I have a LOT of time to smoke it.

I like the occasional churchill but I like a nice beli or robusto more. Something like 5-6 x 50-52

Whew ... we're talkin cigars. :roll:

I like the robusto, toro, beli sizes as well. It's hard for me to find time for anything larger on a regular basis.

For the ride to and from work I usually choose something in the corona or robusto size range.

I am a Robusto fan, I do go up to Toro or Pyramid size. I normally don't have the time for a Churchill (and I have terrible luck with them too!)

There was that one Churchill I had at the Castle though......hmmmm I may need to rethink this.

I tend to smoke, in no particular order of preference, coronas, toros, robustos and panatelas. I get impatient with bigger smokes.

I've always liked the bigger size cigars. Even if it's a robusto, I still want it to be at least a 50 ring. My favorite size cigar is a 7 1/4 x 54. I've had lots of 60 rings and love 'em! I'm definitely a big ring guy. :D

I am a Robusto guy,,, I also like the PC format. Large Cigars I find I get borad with or run out of time.

For me part of this hobby is fitting the right smoke to the time you have to enjoy it. That and matching the level of attention needed to the type of enviroment I am in.
That said, by far my favorite (regular life) time & smoke are a DC or Churchill. The drive to NY is 2 hours & is perfect for a smoke that size.
How many times have I been caught in Tunnel traffic, looking at the faces of other drivers all kinds of upset. While smiling I think I need the traffic to last another 20 minutes so I can finish the smoke.
Sit back, smokin & smiling!
I think people smoke certain sizes to match their time.

I should add that it seems Cuba is more focused on bigger cigars for their new releases.
The Edmundo & Siglo VI were big sellers & there are more big cigars coming in 07.

Robusto fan here. Not sure why. Seems to fit my hand better, just more comfortable to me I guess, if that makes sense.

I agree with CC and everyone in respects to smoking something that fits your lifestyle and timelines, but is there a need to mention basic construction benefits to the larger cigars?

If I understand everything correctly, A churchill or a cigar of a larger ring guage allows for more leaves to be inserted into the end product enabling a more complex selections of flavors in one cigar. Now there is much to be said that if you only have time to enjoy half the cigar then you aren't experiencing everything anyway, so what's the point?

I prefer a thicker gauge robusto for more everyday smoking (something sub hour burn time) but on the weekends or when I'm golfing I love a nice big churchill to accompany a good day on the linx.

Like CC's stand point though...can just see him stuck like chuck in traffic jammin his tunes with a big Sh*t eating grin thinking life just doesn't get any better!!

I prefer the robusto size, but also like others. A lot of times it depends on the marca and line. For RP vintage I like the robusto, but for 5 vegas cigars I like the torpedo size. For cubans, I really like PC's.

I like the robosto also. I like a bigger ring gauge and usually don't smoke anything under 50 if I can avoid it. I like bigger cigars, but do not always have the time to sit down for 1 1/2 - 2 hours to smoke a big boy. Like everyone already said I guess it depends, but given any choice I like the bigger cigars.

My collection is quite varied. I have everything from panatelas to churchills ready to go. Smoking different sizes, and brands by default, to suit the time I have keeps me trying new things and revisiting smokes I've put to bed. If I was forced to pick I size I enjoy BEST it would be a rubosto or figurado. I find some of the small smokes to get too hot when you don't smoke them slow enough and some of the big guys to taste very flat until you are two or so inches in. Most of stuff is medium size.