Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and The Fifth Amendment. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
In short, it's like my mother, and a lot of mothers used to say, "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all," and they're usually right.

Well, I'll try to be diplomatic.

There are two Wild Turkey products I just LOVE. Really. If you look at my current Top 25, you'll see that Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve stands at No. 11 and Wild Turkey Rare Breed is holding solid at No. 15.

But this one, the most expensive of the lot of Wild Turkey products is just a turkey to me. It starts off with a refreshing blast of sharp oak and caramel, with a short, very, very dry finish (aftertaste) in the first couple of sips but as time goes by instead of building in complexity and remaining bold, as I find bourbons usually do, it actually flattens out, with the oak almost disappearing, and some apricot flavor coming through, but again with a very short, and very dry, annoying finish.

In short, this bourbon's flavors just don't last on my palate, and it leaves an extreme and distressing dryness which causes my palate to almost shut down completely. I just knew it might be a big bust for me when I saw the phrase 'single barrel bourbon' on the label, because I usually find them to be rather bland and boring.

With all due respect to the distillers of fine Wild Turkey products, this one ain't even makin' my Top 25. Sorry, but you've got two other products very high on that list and who am I . . .

anyhow???

Bloof - don't throw the bottle away. Try "The Spirit" after a desert or something sweet like cookies. Definitely not on my list for night caps after a juicy steak / chop or spicy fajita dinner!

I know what you mean, but this one had three or four chances, after various types of foods including sweets, and just didn't make it. If a bourbon has to work that hard to make me love it, it just ain't worth it.