William Larue Weller Bourbon - Final Review . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
and new Top 25 list.

From what I have been given to understand, this latest 121.9 barrel proof offering from the Van Winkle/Weller stable is actually the same whiskey as the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot B, but instead of 90 proof, this is the pure form. And indeed, pure it is. After four tastings of this very special brand new bourbon, I am most definitely "in love."

If I have referred to the aforementioned Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot B as "perfect bourbon" in the past, and indeed I have, this is an improvement upon perfection. It is so smooth that I keep finding myself getting suspicious of the 121.9 proof claim. It also has very little kick, again giving rise to suspicions of the proof. What it does have, regardless of alcohol content, is very, very nice, rich flavors that burst forth on the palate and leave an everlasting finish, which keeps William Larue Weller bourbon, dare I say it, "gentle on my mind."

This excellent bourbon opens with a nice infusion of spicy oak covered liberally with light amber maple syrup or clover honey, and unsweetened cherry juice. As time wears on and we get to the fourth sip or so, I do believe I can actually taste barrel char in here, which mixes interestingly with the cherry juice, and the spicy oak still playing in the background.

The body of this bourbon can be said to be medium, with the flavors bold and rich. If there is one criticism, it is that the sweetness pervades. I might like to see some more power, snap, in the spicy oak portion of the taste profile, but how much can one criticize "perfection"?

I have to take my hat off to Mr. Julian P. Van Winkle III who now oversees the production of the great bourbon/rye traditions begun by his ancestors. With old stocks of famous labels drying up and production now being done at the Buffalo Trace facility, Mr. Van Winkle has found a way to transition certain famous labels into batches of new whiskey worthy of carrying the baton into future years, as well as create new labels. There has been no loss of understanding as to how to make fine whiskey with the passing of the generations.

Mr. Van Winkle, whom I hear only the best things about from proprietors who have met him and his family, can be proud of yet another fantastic offering from the Van Winkle/Weller stable of whiskeys.

It was very hard to decide a final placement for this great new bourbon. Hours of brain busting went into this decision. As great as it is, it could not topple the now defunct W.L. Weller 19 year old, and although it went head up against the Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish bourbon, I finally had to decide that the latter was simply so much of a unique and once in a lifetime bourbon experience, that the new William Larue Weller would have to settle for No. 7. This pushes it's 90 proof "perfect son" down to No. 8, and sadly, Baker's gets kicked out of the Top 10, and we say goodbye to Blanton's as it exits the Top 25.

William Larue Weller barrel proof (121.9) bourbon, 12 years and 2 months in the oak, with a staggering annual evaporation rate of nearly 4.8%. From what I understand, most bourbon evaporates at the rate of about 3% or a little more per year. Who knows what the magic is, but this is magic. How glad am I that a day or two after purchasing my first bottle at the fantastic "walk-out price" of $52.01 ($47.99+tax) I had the foresight to go back for another.

Just try getting your hands on a bottle of this. If you do, don't let go.

Top 25 Bourbon List​
1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old
2. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old
4. Booker's
5. W.L. Weller 19 year old
6. Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish
7. William Larue Weller 121.9 proof
8. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot B
9. The Classic Cask Single Batch 18 year old
10. George T. Stagg 2002, 137.6 proof
11. Baker's
12. George T. Stagg 2003, 142.7 proof
13. Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15 year old
14. Knob Creek
15. Pure Kentucky
16. Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve (original 101 proof)
17. Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year old
18. The Classic Cask Single Batch 17 year old
19. George T. Stagg Spring 2005, 131.8 proof
20. Basil Hayden’s
21. Noah’s Mill
22. Henry McKenna 10 year old bonded
23. Rowan’s Creek
24. Jefferson’s Reserve 15 year old
25. Wild Turkey Rare Breed

I need to find a bottle of this. Bloof. The name on the bottle is"William Larue Weller"? It looks like it's right up there with your beloved "Bookers".

Do it, Rick, get yourself a bottle. Perfect barrel proof bourbon. Try not to pay more than $60-65 if you can. Not everyone will be able to pay the $52.01 I plunked down. :sm_angel: And yes, William Larue Weller is what's on the bottle and it is the same tall, slim, stately bottle that the Eagle Rare 17 and George T. Stagg come in.

Well I purchased a bottle of old #25 the other day,why, It was on sale. The opinion of the 4 guys, me included, who were hitting it at the party Saturday, was that it is a true product of the Wild Turkey Family. For a premium Bourbon is seems very harsh, you certinely taste every bit of the proof. That is why I never did care for the regular Wild Turkey. Anyway what was left is going into the back of the cabinet for those who are Wild Turkey fans.

Rare Breed can indeed taste like a punch in the mouth a lot of times. I like that kind of stuff. Wild Turkey is definitely an acquired taste. I guess I acquired it a long time ago. :cryinlaugh:

Well, I went out today to find that lil fella, no luck. However!!! I did stumble across a bottle of Geo T. Stagg 141.2 proof Limited Edition.
It doesn't have an age on it and I haven't tried it yet. Bloof. Any info on this bottle of fire?

Well, you've caused me to stumble into a story I was going to tell on another thread, because I wanted to give further evidence that I am indeed, . . .

THE GREAT DUMBONI!!! And there is no other. :sm_angel:

I finally gave up trying to get it at any place other than the one Hollow Point recommended to me in California. A bottle is on it's way to me with two bottles of other bourbons, and I am paying a walk-out price of $65.24. The George T. Stagg Fall 2005 release is 15 years old.

As some of you know, I have been touting a place called Astor Wines and Spirits, just a few minutes from midtown-Manhattan on the subway. On occasion, you've all also heard me refer to a place right down the block called Warehouse Wines and Spirits. Astor Wines clearly had made a recent move to expand and upgrade their bourbon selection, and the lead post in this thread will testify to that. Warehouse Wines, while always the best for low-priced, but good budget bourbons, like Knob Creek and Pure Kentucky, seems to have lagged behind in their overall selection, especially top shelf stuff.

Now, the other day I'm working for my sister. I call her from Grand Central shortly after getting in from upstate, and she says to meet her downtown in the courthouse district, rather than go to work at her apartment in Brooklyn. So, I go downstairs to take the No. 4 or 5 train to Brooklyn Bridge, a ride of just a few minutes, but there's a crowd, and obviously problems with the express. Now I don't want this trip to take all evening, so I eschew taking a No. 6 local that pulls in.

As the minutes ticked by, I realized that if I did take the next local to Astor Place, I could go down the block to check out Warehouse Wines for the first time in a while. After that, the R and W trains which would take me downtown to the City Hall stop, and even closer to where my sister was, are right outside the store. All this could be accomplished by about 6 p.m., which is the time she expected me.

So, I jumped on the next No. 6 local that pulled in, and was soon in Warehouse Wines. In the process of my quest, I discovered two "new" bourbons, of suspicious origins, but excellent prices, which I knew about from watching LeNell's web site. I will comment on and review those bourbons as the NFL playoffs march on. What I also noticed, a little to the right of those two "new" bourbons, is that Warehouse Wines, the store with the small selection, has obviously decided to expand and upgrade theirs as well.

THERE was a bottle of the new George T. Stagg Fall 2005 edition at the walk-out price of $54.18 ($49.99+tax). So yesterday, before leaving the city, I bought a bottle of that, just to avoid thinking that I paid $11.06 too much for TWO bottles. Of course, I already knew in advance that if I don't like it, I will have been a stupid ass twice, no matter what the price, but if I do like it, then I have the consolation of knowing that at least I paid the "right" price for ONE bottle.

Thanks for bringing it up Rick. You spared me the time and trouble of resorting to the carnival act to let everyone know what a dumb blond(e) I am. Doing it in a quiet, businesslike fashion works just as well for me.

:roll: :roll: :dunno: :duh: :duh: :duh: :bolt:

So, I guess my walk out price for the 141.2 of $49.90 is good. I have a Cohiba Siglo VI to pair with it either tonight or tomorrow.

Put it this way, I DARE anyone to find a better price than what you got. I haven't had my first tasting yet. I guess tonight will be your first, too?

I need to get some garlic into my system. I usually make my linguine with garlic and oil at least once a month in the colder months. l've been slacking off, and my body is telling me to do it. I usually put at least 50 cloves in the mix, and the cleaning, pressing and cleanup from the garlic preparation is a TV watching project. I'll be getting on that shortly, and later on tonight, George T. Stagg Fall 2005 is going to meet Bloof for the first time.

I may actually have the gumption to smoke that small Magus that Pmagus sent me. The Churchills are going to have to wait a few months. :sm_angel:

I broke open my bottle tonight. I have been suffering from allergies all week. I poured about a shot glass full into my special bourbon glass made by Waterford. I first attempted it neat with a tiny sip, my word! my lips were on fire. I then attempted with a couple of ice chips to bring out the flavor, it tasted fabulous by waaaay too strong. I added a few more larger chips and let it sit and hopefully cool. It worked, the flavor of caramel, molasses, sugar, coffee and char was fabulous. I'm glad I bought it, btw it was 46.99 plus tax. Another great thing about this bourbon is I don't have to worry about drinking alot of this in a sitting. I broke into a sweat and had a distinct buzz on one shot. Believe me when I say, I'm no lightweight but please be careful with this high proof.

So what was your walk-out price? Good advice on the proof Rick, but being familiar with the 2002 (137.6) and 2003 (142.7), I personally am aware of the thunder that lies within these bottles. All others, be warned.

Had a hard time finding Van Winkle's Lot "B" (about as high up on the price scale as I can justify) when I was at home in Louisville and one of the salesmen put us onto Even Williams Single Barrel which did not disappoint. Price is about the same as the Lot "B'.

Definitely worth a try.

Ty

Any vintage of Evan Williams Single Barrel bourbon should cost you about ten bucks LESS than Van Winkle's Family Reserve 12 year old, Lot B bourbon. How much were they asking for the Van Winkle's, tax and all?

Bloof. Around here Lot B runs around $36.00 to $42.00 plus tax. I have been having a hard time finding it also. I'll have to try Evan Williams.

I paid $39 ($35.99+tax) for my last bottle of the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot B. Evan Williams Single Barrel should cost about ten bucks less, all the time. Anyone who pays more than a walk-out price of $40 for the "Lot B" or more than a walk-out price of $30-32 for the Evan Williams Single Barrel, should look elsewhere.

By the way, I think it is worth me mentioning that anyone who wants the Evan Williams Single Barrel bourbon can actually get it for twenty-something, that's right, UNDER $30, if you look hard enough. Sometimes, it's a matter of whether or not that web site will ship to your state. Don't ever pay as much for that as you would for the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12, Lot B, don't ever pay NEARLY as much.

Getting back to the headline bourbon of the thread, as I get to the very bottom of the bottle, there is indeed quite a bit of sediment evident. I noticed it in the bottom of the glass I poured just prior to today's tasting. When I poured my customary two shots for today's tasting, leaving about one shot's worth left in the bottle, there was so much sediment, the color was actually brown! Didn't ruin the flavor, and I did drink as much of the sediment as I could get down, but after the final sip, there was still some very fine, black dust of some sort. I guess that leaves no question that this is indeed an unfiltered bourbon, just in case I ever wondered if that was really true. :roll: :mrgreen:

I see were booker rated high on your list . this is a very good bourbon.
Has any one tryed old weller, this is my ever day drink, when i drink bourbon.and at 20$ a 5th. the price is right

If you mean the Old Weller Antique 107 proof, yes I have, a long time ago. Very good stuff, and a great bang for the buck bourbon.