Wine Chiller Help!

Amy

Joined Nov 2003
2K Posts | 0+
Paradise CA
Ive been looking around for a wine chiller...and Im not having any luck. Im looking for a 24 or so capacity one(enought to fit several boxes of cigars in), and that has an adjustable thermostat that goes up to at least 65ºF. Thanks!

I was tring to find one myself. No luck. You would probaley have to spend more than it would cost to buy a big humidor, on some special wine cooler. :shock:

Found one. Haier makes it:). Constant 65ºF with a small PC fan that circulates the air and RH beads, and your set!

Its not really quite that simple unfortunately. Many wine chillers are run on compressors which actually suck the vital humidity out of the air. I could not get mine above 37%! Even if they are thermoelectric run which I doubt this one is, wine chillers such as that have a wide variance from top to bottom in temperature so they can store both red and white wines. Plus the thermostats are notoriously inaccurate and never go as high as advertised.

Also, to use beads you need I believe one pound of beads for every cubic foot of space. That gets very expensive when you have to replace them.

If all this hasn't swayed you and you'd still like to do this however these product are what you'll need or wish you'd bought later:

A PC fan is a start but you need one on the top and one on the bottom.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-bee ... d-E54.html

http://www.cigaroasis.com/products/cigar-oasis-xl.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-COOLER-Peltier ... dZViewItem

I have plenty of PC fans, with cc rings, around :D. The computer nerd in me will require me to mod the cooler anyway. lol
This one is TEC.
You should never have to replace the beads, and yes, 1.1lbs is needed(I did the math earlier)
I have plenty of PSU's around.
Titanium drill bit nearby with Snap-On cordless drill.

Reason for doing this, is no matter how much I try, I cannot get stable humidity or stable temps for my cigars in my humidor.

Just out of curiousity, where did you see that it was a TEC unit? I couldn't find that info anywhere in my research.

But what about the temperature? Even with the fans and the TEC cooling unit, the stock temperature is still too cold for proper aging(44-57 degrees). Also your math as well as mine is apparently wrong. The owner of heartfelt industries, the supplier of most beads now, says on his site the ratio is one pound for every 5 cubic feet and apparently you do not have to replace them as long as you take care of them.

I called the company lol.
I followed his formula on his site, but oh well.

I think that Im going to forego this idea for now. Im lookin at just getting another medium sized humidor that will hold a couple of boxes worth.
I get drawn into neat ideas way too easily, and this is one of those cases.
Here is what Im lookin at getting, and a tube of those beads:
http://www.vectorkgm.com/catalog/templa ... hm-404.cfm

Nice! This is actually gonna be a Christmas present from the 'rents. The cigar store up here that I go to, doesnt have this one, unfortunatly.

That's one of my cabinets Paintbrush. The dual outlet is a great feature. The hygrometer looks nice and is quite heavy, too bad it's unreliable. It's a nice size humidor and is supposed to take a while to fill :lol:

Nice. Not something I want to carry with me, moving around every 3 years though, plus there isnt much room in the barracks.

That one's pretty sweet...I might have to pick that one up! :wink: ...axe, where did you get yours from if you don't mind me asking?

rdesantos said:
That one's pretty sweet...I might have to pick that one up! :wink: ...axe, where did you get yours from if you don't mind me asking?

Rob PM sent

Big Paintbrush said:
Syntax, have Mum and Dad look at this one. It has room to grow, like the Wine cooler.

Click Here

I have purchased product from Tanpa Humidors, and I found them to be very reliable, and customer service is topnotch. Plus, if you want they can fill it with cigars for you at reasonable prices.

There you go!

Hmm..

Axe, please PM where you got yours as well, thx.