Wine cooler people?

Joined Mar 2007
222 Posts | 0+
NW of Chicago
Any folks here using the Avanti wine cooler? How are you humidifying it?
I picked up mine today and it's up and running. I have a pound of Heartfelt beads divided up in 2 half pound bags. I thought I'd put a half pound toward the top and 1 near the bottom. do you think this is enough?
I have a CO XL I could use, but would prefer to just use beads.

you should be OK. I also have a shot glass of distilled water in the bottom of mine and it's been running well for me.

Oh, and love the quote at the bottom of your sig tag....(yes, I know what it is from, anyone else?)

rmrdaddy said:
Oh, and love the quote at the bottom of your sig tag....(yes, I know what it is from, anyone else?)

I bet there are rich folk eatin on a fancy dinning car, they're probly drinkin coffee and smokin big cigars...

its the man in black himself, Johnny Cash. From the song folsom prison blues.

great man, great song

Which model did you get? What is the temperature range? Most of the ones I am finiding either don't give the temperature range or they top out at around 55-65 deg. 65 deg is probably not a big deal but 55 is probably too cold? Also, many have an auto defrost feature. I am no engineer but I would imagine that moisture might be the trigger for the defrost to kick on and a humidifier might cause it to freak out.

Rolf,
You need a thermoelectric model. I have the ECW28. No compresor, so RH stays fairly constant. I am under the impression that compressor fridges dry out the air inside terribly...

I"ve got the same on daddy has. It's a must for me because it gets pretty hot here, and I don't want to run the AC all the time. It's great to know that my cigars will always be cool no matter how hot it gets outside. It's 65 degrees and 65% RH right now. I don't know how cold it would get if I turned it all the way down (up?)

Yes Johnny Cash Rob, Folsom Prison Blues, good catch, thanks!

I'm a Cash fan.
Still get chills when I hear his rendition of Danny Boy with the little dialog intro...

WilliamDubya said:
Walker, are you using fans to circulate the air through out the fridge?
No, there is a fan in the unit and I'm assuming that it will suffice. I have 2 digital hygrometers in the unit and they stay within a few % points of each other.

I had to use my Cigar Oasis. Last summer that lasted about three weeks before I had to refill it on average. I can't imagine beads lasting that long but I've never used them. I'm hoping it lasts longer now that its in a cooler part of the basement.

iminaquagmire said:
I had to use my Cigar Oasis. Last summer that lasted about three weeks before I had to refill it on average. I can't imagine beads lasting that long but I've never used them. I'm hoping it lasts longer now that its in a cooler part of the basement.
I'm finding that I have to recharge the beads every 2 or three days. I"ve added a big bowl of kitty litter to the bottom. It's been pretty warm here this last week with highs in the mid 80's. While the cooler does keep the cigars cool, the harder it works, the more it dries out the cigars it seems. It's no big deal except that I was out of town for 5 days and when I came back home, the RH had dropped into the upper 50's. It's back into the mid 60's now and no harm done I hope.

Walker, do you have a temp controller?

what is the temp of your cooler, and If I am reading it right, you have one pound?

Yes Chris,

1 pound heartfelt 65% beads divided into 2, 1/2 pound mesh bags AND another 1/2 pound (or so) of kitty litter crystals in a bowl on the bottom. The temp stays pretty consatnt at about 65. It's set at the lowest setting. (knob turned just past 'on'.) I'm assumimg that cranking the knob full to the right makes it even colder. I'm tempted to use the CO with the battery pack to ciculate the air a bit more and keep the humididty up. I'm just about out of room in there as it is, and adding more beads, well just takes up precious space.
Any thoughts?

Personally I did not like the CO. as the cooler kicked on, the RH would fall, so the CO would turn on and put a lot of moisture in the System. as the cooler was running it was condensing some of the water out of the air. i ended up with a trashed box of cigars cause it was damp.

I guess it's not a big deal to recharge the beads every other day or so. Better than soggy sticks. Fortunatley I don't go out of town that often.
cmontgomery said:
Get A BIGGER ONE :lol:
Ha Ha Craig. It would probably be cheaper to move to a cooler climate than to keep buying more, bigger and cooler humidors/coolers. :?

having a co in the bottom and beads near mid top, im also having that problem that chris mentioned with it being too moist...a lot of condesation dripping down from the cooler unit...im gonna do some more searching around on this, but ultimately, is looking like i need to ditch the co in the bottom....Chris (or anyone) are you using 65% or 70% beads? the cooler in mine takes it down to about 58% humidity while its cooling, and then right when the humidity finally gets back to 65%, the cooler kicks on again.....