Wine Cooler Question

Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts | 0+
Northern California
I hope everyone is well! :D Spring has sprung here in California. It's great but it's also raising havoc with my humi's. I don't have a basement because here in Cali we need to shake rattle and roll :roll: . The coolest spot in the house is between 70~80 degrees and I'm running scared. We don't have air conditioning mainly because I am a tight wad :shock: . I like it hot, but my sticks don't. I went out today and bought a small 16 bottle wine cooler for my cigars. I searched through the coolerador and small refer threads but I still have a few important questions. I know this topic has been covered and covered again, but I am asking again. Finally the questions, Do you think this thing will work for cigars? Will my sticks get wet? Should I put them in zip locks and leave the seal open? Is it possible to control the RH in this? I have beads and digital temp and RH gear. What is the best temp for the cigars? I will try to attatch a picture of it. I got it on sale at best buy for $89 smackers so if it's not the right thing I'll use it for beer. Thanks in advance for your advice! :D

Attachments

• 7587818_ra.jpg
    7587818_ra.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 219
Does this unit rely on traditional refrigeration, or is it thermoelectric? If it's thermoelectric, you shouldn't have too much trouble monitoring and maintaining the RH. If it isn't, you're beyond my ability to help :)

What he said. I know Avanti makes a 16 bottle Thermoelectric and this looks like it. If there's a fan in the back of the interior you've got the right fridge.

Beads will work fine. In fact they'll work even better because this has a tighter seal than any wood humidor. There's no need for bags or anything. Just put the cigars in empty boxes or trays. Trays are scarce now though as the one place that sells the nice ones is out of stock. I'm getting some enameled mesh silverware trays for mine tomorrow.

Only problem I see is that I have a similar size and its stuffed to the gills until my new one is built. These are deceptively large as not only cigars have to go in but also your humidification device(s) as well as any containers, ie trays and boxes. Other than that, I think you'll be extremely happy with your purchase.

I just looked at the Avanti products. That appears to be the Little Tavern Refrigerator/Wine Cooler, which by all information is compressor driven. I'd either use it for drinks or return it and get a bigger thermoelectric. It will cause swings in humidity when the compressor comes on which your beads most likely will not compensate for. Plus the cooling plate will collect moisture which could also get your cigars wet.