Winter is upon us

Joined May 2006
59 Posts | 0+
Clinton Twp, Michigan
Hi again all! Ok, I was wonder if any of you are in my situation. I have a beautiful wife that I love very much, and as much as she loves me, she won't let me smoke in the house. Now, during the warmer seasons it isn't an issue as I love to sit in my back yard to enjoy a cigar. During the winter the warmest place I can smoke is the garage - which smells like gas and oil... ruining the cigar in my opinion.

If you have the same problem as me, what do you do? I think my only option is to go out to more cigar hangouts (Capt, I'm looking in your direction, hehe).

Any ideas/suggestions?

i have the exact same problem.

here is what i am trying to do.

i have a third floor that is a game room with fooze ball, my guitars an old TV, microwave, and a little tiny fridge. She almost never goes up there. im pushing to make that my winter smoking room.
in other words, see if you can get one room that she will let you smoke in. Make sure the room does not have a reurn air vent for the heater or else it will make the house smell like cigar. Also invest in an oreck air purifier. It will do wonders.

i havent worked out all the details here. wish me luck, and ill wish you luck.

Thats a great idea, and I was planning on that. The problem with that is my "cigar room" is under construction. I am finishing my basement and I am designing it with all the necessary air purifications. But it won't be done until next summer! :(

Maybe I should organize a monthly cigar outing/get-together with the locals here.

Dave, this time of year I smoke very few cigars. Most while out hunting and some of the local pubs.

I can however, smoke my pipes in the house, but I am only allowed to smoke in my office, which is fine with me!

I put a space heater in my garage and so far it's worked out fine. I can sit out there without a coat, smoke, and get on the laptop and chat away.

I recently bought a small backyard "fireplace" for lack of a better word. It cost me $95.00 at home depot, and a buddy of mine and me smoked a couple of Churchill size cigars this past friday night.

Of course it only gets down to low 50's/high 40's here. It was really nice though. My dog loved it. She curled up on her bed right next to the thing.

I have started smoking in the basement which doesnt work to well becasue the smoke still gets to the upstairs. It will probabaly be even worse when I turn the heat on. But I will be eventually making my basement a game room and a place to enjoy a fine cigar. CyberPsyko what are you using in the basement to purify the air?

Well Cyber, as rough as it sounds you have to let the wife go, first it's the cigrs, then she is going to want you to start talking about feelings. Before you know it, she will want you going shopping with her and visiting with the other women folk. Stand up straight, be a man and light up, tell her you won't take no for an answer.

Just joking man, take your cigars outside and go for a long walk.

I've fixed up a nice area in my garage with a space heater, cable tv/dvd player and a small air purifier. Its an attached garage and my wife, who is highly sensitive to smoke odor, says she can't even tell when I'm out their smoking.

You guys have it all beat over what I am forced to do. My only option is to smoke in my unheated garden shed. Running power for a heater out there is just not an option, so needless to say, once it gets to -20 or so, I just don't smoke, and we get that weather for about 3 months every winter.

I have been very fortunate this year so far, I have managed to have at least one cigar a week. Here's hoping this good weather holds for a while.

Buy a Defender... it's a little known air purification system made by a company called Healthmor. This thing is phenominal beats most air purifications systems I have ever seen.

Just my 2 cent,
Jackie

I think the Defender is a good option. This past summer, while at the Mid West meet at Capt's house, the guys told me of a stone that absorbs most of it as well. I'll probably use both.

I guess my best option this year is to set up my garage. Though, if any of you are in the Detroit area, lets get together at a cigar bar er something. We must stand strong against the tyrany of our wives! ... just kidding. :)

Bikeman said:
You guys have it all beat over what I am forced to do. My only option is to smoke in my unheated garden shed. Running power for a heater out there is just not an option, so needless to say, once it gets to -20 or so, I just don't smoke, and we get that weather for about 3 months every winter.

I have been very fortunate this year so far, I have managed to have at least one cigar a week. Here's hoping this good weather holds for a while.

gordon, one word- Generator! fire that baby up, plug in a space heater and whatever other creature comforts you want!

I've got a kerosene heater on the porch that does a nice job. If things get to cold I'll move to the basement. The onlything is that the basement is only accessable via the outside. So it's kind of a pain. I need to build a strairwell so I can just carry my lazy can down stairs without braving the elements.