With the 2005/2006 "Season" Disappearing . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
from view, at long last, the long awaited (by WHO? :dunno: :duh: :duh: ) Bloofy Bourbon post on my recent TV episode (NOT! :roll: :roll: :duh: ) entitled:

Bloof Goes In Search Of: El Cheapos

Well, I found them, although one that gets Honorable Mention is a wee bit above a true El Cheapo, these are all low budget bourbons that are guaranteed to please. If I've ever given any one a good tip, this rather long winded post :roll: will give you NO bum steer. And speaking of steers, anybody wanna buy a big, strong, beautiful white bull? You just have to go to Puerto Rico to pick it up and pay for it. Serious offers only, respond by PM please.

Back to bourbon. What IS an El Cheapo? Well, let's keep in mind that it is mid-2006, and pretty soon, we'll be in the second decade of the 21st Century. I therefore don't think it's unreasonable to tell somebody that you will have to shell out somewhere between $15-20 to obtain a bourbon or rye whiskey that you'll like. The kind that you, or a friend or two and a football game or camping trip, can look back on and say, it was no Weller, Van Winkle or Beam Distillery top shelf, but it sure was GOOD bourbon, tasty, and we saved big bucks on that bottle and remember it, as well as the whole trip, fondly.

And keep in mind, that when I say $15-20, I mean the total expenditure, inclusive of tax or shipping charges, whether you are purchasing in person or internet shopping. Of course, what happens if you are fortunate enough to live in a state like New Hampshire, or just passing through, the range becomes more like $13-18 instead of $15-20, because they have no liquor tax, and their prices might be pretty close to or right in line with the best places around. The range might even be in the $12-17 range in certain states without liquor tax. All the better, because that takes you back into the prior decade's bang for the buck bourbon price range.

And I wasn't drinking bourbon last decade, except maybe in the last year of it. But trust me, because I AM . . .

The Great Dumboni. And there IS no other.

And The Great Dumboni KNOWS things. :roll: :roll: :roll:

(Picture some guy in a purple turban with a crystal ball in front of him. Well built, especially for pushing 50, 6'2", 210-215, Elvis sideburns and fake, exact plastic replica sunglasses, choose whether I'm wearing the silver colored or gold colored ones, sitting down and knowing stuff. :roll: :roll: :duh: )

Okay, what does Bloof personally look for in an El Cheapo?

Proof and age. Why? Because I think 80 proof anything is for five year olds. Okay, okay, before I start getting letters from MADD and The Other Moderators/The Administrators, what I mean :roll: is that for the purposes of sipping whiskey for flavor and relaxation, 80 proof is USUALLY a point at which whiskey has been watered down so much as to be almost flavorless. You can almost TASTE the water, even in some fine 80 proof bourbons like Basil Hayden's, for example.

But, when 80 proof is wrapped in some age, it automatically means you have a lot better chance of scoring something in the flavor department, when enticed by a low price, because age = flavor, automatically, because every season the bourbon is taking SOMETHING out of the wood. And proof, because the higher the proof, the more pure the whiskey, closer to what was actually aging in the barrel, less water with each notch on the Proof-Ometer.

And to REALLY back yourself up and complete your research, I discovered a page a couple/few years ago, that my Whiskey Sensei also highly recommends. It's at http://www.straightbourbon.com, and the page is called The Bourbon Database. Searching the database will help you to also know the name of the distillery that either made it, or the company that currently holds corporate/legal rights to the distribution of it. Sometimes, it seems to be an entity even more ambiguous than a well established business group. It's almost as though some bourbon is owned by Joe And D'Boyahs Fum Down The Road A Piece. :mrgreen:

But if you're at a point in your life or your budget, where you will not spend more than $20, or perhaps $22 TOTAL on a bottle, you will have then done all your research. Make sure you know the age and proof, at the very least.

So, with Honorable Mention, because it's really slightly above the price range in question, at a "walk-out price" of $23.33, there's . . .

Old Charter 10 year old. Unfortunately 80 proof, but surprising full of flavor, in consideration of some other 90 proof and up, bourbons that I've tasted in my time. The ever so slightly but still present tangy oak, covered quickly by sweet honey, straightforward, light bodied, not great, but if you're looking for what an "off brand" ten year old bourbon tastes like, this isn't bad. But the list, . . .

only gets better. At a "walk-out price" of $15.32, I also recently purchased, . . .

Joshua Brook. I was attracted to this label I'd never heard of before, because at eight years old and 90 proof, it's getting into the range that I become extremely interested in, on both ends of the age/proof spectrum. The price was very, very good, and this bourbon has a spicy tang that goes into a deep, earthy middle and finish, long lasting, rather mushroomy at times. A bit light on flavor, but a couple years older than Maker's Mark, the same proof, and cheaper. I'd take this if you were thinking of buying a bottle of Maker's Mark.

Old Taylor six year old. I shuddered when I saw it was 80 proof, but this was a ONE LITER bottle for a "walk-out price" of $15.32, and I figured that's good R&D money. It was. Although it comes up a bit short on body and finish, probably because at only 40% alcohol it's relatively weak, this has a bold flavor, and for one liter of bourbon, this is a home run. At six years old, it's had time to develop some character. Tangy oak, with a thick layer of rich sweetness on top. You won't crow like a rooster and give up the Pappy's, but you and your wallet WILL give it up for the dogs in the house when you drink Old Taylor six year old. Your wife will take the change, but of courrrrrrrrrrrrrrse.

And for the butt kicker of the El Cheapo group, this is A MUST BUY. I don't drink their single barrel bourbons, because I had a couple of editions a few years ago, saw what the deal was and moved on. But I learned never to give up on a brand name altogether a long time ago, just try a different one of their products, even the DIRT CHEAP one. You know, the one they DON'T advertise, the "sleeper", the "dark horse," well, that's just what I did when I paid a "walk-out price" of $15.87 for . . .

Evan Williams 1783. This is ten years old and 86 proof, and believe me, that extra three percent alcohol content DOES make a difference. This is an outstanding bourbon for one that still does not make my Top 25. You simply MUST try this bourbon, if you ever feel like getting nice change back from a $20 and drinking some really fine bourbon. I don't need to beat ten years old over the head again. I'll just say this is smooth, refined, yet tasty at the same time. Very well balanced between the spicy, tangy oak, sweetness and interesting rye bite at times. This one goes head up against Elijah Craig 12 year old, Weller Special Reserve, etc. in the circa $15 competition, and scores big.

I should also mention that the two recent orders in which the four bourbons in the post above were mentioned, included a bottle of Old Forester 100 proof, and a 375 ml bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year old 101 proof. The Eagle Rare 101 10 year old, is a discontinued product that Binny's is selling 375's of pretty cheap, and the Old Forester 100 is my second try at an Old Forester product.

So, in my last two internet orders, for slightly over $100, just $102.58, I came away with five very satisfactory new El Cheapos, and a 375 of an old favorite.

The Old Forester 100 proof is a bourbon that cost me a "walk-out price" of $19.87 and should by all means be included in your El Cheapos list, when you're shopping the budget side of things. Unlike the 86 proof version, which I tried last season, this one has a nice flavor profile, and an interesting alfalfa-like finish, sort of like the Old Grandad 114.

Another El Cheapo I discovered this expiring season was the Old Fitzgerald 100, mentioned in another thread a few months ago, a smooth, wheated bourbon. It still has enough flavor to qualify as a viable candidate for the El Cheapo list and cost me a "walk-out price" of $20.32.

By the way, the Old Charter 10 year old can actually be had for at least three dollars less than what I paid, bringing it right into the range of $15-20 for a "walk-out price" of an El Cheapo. I wanted the Joshua Brook and Old Taylor 1 liter that HiTime was showing when I put in my order, so I opted to pay the higher price for the Old Charter 10 year old. Binny's, from whom I ordered the other three bottles mentioned previously, actually has that one for less. I ended up ordering the other three bottles mentioned in this thread, later on from Binny's.

Thanks for doing the research Bloof. I know it must have been tough, but I guess someone has to do the dirty jobs!

I wish the liquor stores in Pennsylvania carried a bit more selection.

You're not a far drive from Kentucky though, no? And yes, having tried 71 bourbons in my time, it was tough slogging through the swamps, but a man's gotta do whut a man's gotta do. :mrgreen: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh:

:cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :rotflmao: :pumpkin: :pumpkin: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :sm_angel:

Yea Man, the Evan Williams 1783 it a Great Bourbon for the Buck. I need to find out where it is made. I will have to put that place on my list for my Bourbon Tour this June.

Bardstown, Kentucky. Any time you have a question, usually looking on the bottle will help. If not, checking that page that I mentioned at straightbourbon.com can also help.

Found them, Heaven Hill Distillery. They have a new "Welcome Center." They also have a very nice presentation on the web site. If you want the Bourbon Basics this is a good place to get them. They are my ever growing the tour list.

That's right, Heaven Hill. I was going to say Heaven Hill, but wasn't quite sure at first. Heaven Hill is putting out some big time bourbon these days, not always under their name or auspices though. I can't the tell you the rest, because I'd have to . . . y'know. :roll: 8) :sm_angel:

Let's just say that sometimes bourbons suddenly appear out of nowhere, seemingly with no history behind the names, other than the supposition that they seem to be a front company, a holding company, whatever. Let's face it, almost all the distilleries have been closed down. Mergermania has hit the American whiskey industry hard over the past decade or so.

Just be advised that when you stumble upon a really fine bourbon, whose name you never heard of before, and which seems to have no history whatsoever behind it, like say for example, ohhhhhh, :roll: my new No. 4, Vintage 21 year old. Now go read the thread on that one, but just keep in mind, nobody went into business thirty years ago calling themselves Vintage Bourbon Distillery, and suddenly in late 2005, they come out with Christmassy labels, and a 17, 21 and 23 year old release all at the same time.

As the young folks say today, . . .

WHASSUP WIT' DAT?

So, just be advised that there are a lot of good bourbons out there, but only a few people who really make bourbon. And these days, fewer than ever.

Picked up a bottle of the Evan Williams 1783 at the store. You're right - definitely should be on everyone's Must Try list. It took a few sips to really grow on me, and I thought that it greatly benefited from an ice cube or two - a little one dimensional by itself (much like me!). And, for right around $11 after tax, this will now be my "daily" bourbon.

$11 AFTER TAX?!?!?!!!?? :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :banghead: :banghead: :argh: :argh: :argh: :banghead:

Like Rod Stewart said, some guys have all the luck. :dunno: :banghead:

Yep $10.99 pre-tax - PA has some things very well priced. Sort of their way of handing you some extra vaseline while they tell you bend over.

You mean PA has no liquor tax? Because it was $10.99 pre-shipping at the web site I got mine off of. So PA not only has great prices, but no liquor tax, too. :banghead: :banghead: :mrgreen:

The sin tax is built into the price - all you pay extra is the sales tax. But, I doubt you'd be able to order off the PA site - they only ship to their liquor stores in the state from what I've heard.

So, it was $10.99 with all hands on deck INCLUDING tax?

:eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

And you're right. There are web sites around the country that have prices on some of our favorite items that either match or beat the stuffing out of the web sites I sent you, but they are only allowed to sell within their state. There's a fantastic web site in Maryland, the name of which escapes me, that has prices to drool over on some of our favorites, but alas, either you drive to Maryland to buy the booze, or you don't. Sounds like you don't need to.

I need to get out more often. Like to PA so I can finally meet Vince after six years, and to your place where we can lament over the death of the Puerto Rican sugar cane, and hence rum industry.

And the death of its coffee industry.

And the death of its pineapple industry, which my father tells me was once the production home of most of the world's pineapples until somebody up in the boardroom/White House decided Hawaii would grow our pineapples.

But there's one thing that won't die so easy.

PUERTO RICANS!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :rotflmao: :pumpkin: :pumpkin:

Yep - $10.99 except for sales tax. So, after 7% sales tax, it was $11.76.

And you definitely need to get out this way - Vince has the Qtr Deck and it's just waiting to meet you!

And I'd be regretfully happy to lament the deaths of the cane/rum, coffee, and pineapple industries, while drinking some Three Star, eating some platanutres, and smoking a Don Bienve or two.