Worst Cigar Mistake?

Joined Mar 2005
66 Posts | 0+
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As I was searching through my bigger humidor tonight looking for my few Bolivars, I stumble across this old Cohiba Dominica Repubilca. Most of you will know this as the Cohiba Yellow Label. Purchasing these terrible things is probably the worst mistake I've ever made.
I remember being far away from home...somewhere in Quebec. I saw the price tag on a box of Cohiba Esplendidos for $90CDN. Intrigued I asked the shopkeep what the catch was. He said that they weren't Cuban....just from the Dominican. Other than that they tasted pretty good (apparently). I had just started smoking cigars at this point and didn't know much. So I bought the suckers thinking I got a good deal. They sat in my desktop humidor for a while and then... I smoked one...I tell you, it's one of the most horrible things I have smoked. Bad burn, tunneling, bad taste. Basically it was the epitome of bad. I ended up giving most of them away to friends, whom most claim that it's the best cigar they ever had. The power of a cohiba label I guess. If it seems too good to be true it probably is.
So as I'm about to light up this Bolivar churchill, I was just wondering what the worst mistake you've done concerning cigars be it a bad purchase, bad method or bad whatever. I'm sure you all have some.

not one but a bunch... 99% of the boxes/bundles i have bought without trying one first.
you would think i had learned my lesson but i did it many times.

i bought 5 of the kaluha cigarillos, thinking they would be a good 15 min smoke on the way home. they are good for loli pops cause of the sweet flavored tip, but the smoke is terrible.

Tombstone said:
Basically it was the epitome of bad. I ended up giving most of them away to friends, whom most claim that it's the best cigar they ever had.

Maybe it's just me, but I always felt I should pass out the best cigars I had to offer to my friends and keep the dog rockets for the trash or for when I was drunk. I read this frequently were someone has a real garbage cigar so passes it out to their friends. That kind of friendship gives meaning to the saying, "with friends like that, I don't need any enemies."

Ouch that hurts... In my defense it was my friends who asked one smoke them and asked for the rest. So although I did give them away, I never pushed them on anybody...

lars tetans. I was told at the shop that it had some pre embargo tobacco in it. No one told me it also tasted like insense.

:cryinlaugh:

Well, we've had that discussion before. It's all Pre-EmBULL-Go!!!

And Lars Tetens are also flavored cigars. They are infused with various "essential oils." Ever notice how all these neo-hippies and liberals are into these "essential oils." You rub them on your body, you put them in your cigars, what's next, shoving them up your butt? I never needed any oils except olive oil, safflower oil or whatever kind of oil is "essential" for the preparation of certain foods.

I'm a purist. Keep the oils, pass the REAL cigars. :duh:

those yellow band cohiba from dom. are 2.00 at local shop. almost all off my 2.00 cigars were mistakes, after recently buying online, i have found several good deals and some not so good.

I was young and early on in my cigar smoking age. YOu cant hold it against me.

The only two companies I have found with any real pre embargo tobacco are the the toranos (who just ran out) and caribe who is down to two bales which is not a lot at all.

As for the yellow band cohibas there were several companies making them so we may all be talking about different blends. ONe thing is for sure. Now that General cigar has officially been awarded US rights to name cohiba, you can bet those guys that have been and are making them will find themselves in court pretty fast.

"I was young and early on in my cigar smoking age. YOu cant hold it against me." :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: You're absolutely right, Macallan, that's why I was so elated to find one of the most knowledgeable and experienced cigar smokers here had also done something like that, because we ALL have!!! :mrgreen:

Okay folks, Macallan may be Superman NOW, but at least we have his confession to being human at ONE time. :pumpkin:

My biggest mistake was smoking my first two cigars backwords. Good thing I was alone :shock:

i thought i could get away with holding a sol cubano and a beer in the same hand while popping the top lol. didnt work, it cracked right open lol.

:mrgreen:

This is one of the BEST threads!!!

Hey Macallan, as for hooking up with the--------, . . .

well, did you ever see the commercial where the guy comes in, holds up two fingers to the boxer and says how many fingers? The beaten fighter says four, and also doesn't remember what city he's in. Then the guy asks him what he did last night, and the fighter doesn't remember. Then he says "do you remember what I did last night." Again, the boxer says no and the guy turns to all the concerned seconds and goes, he's fine, no problem.

Hey Macallan, I promise not to tell. If you won't tell on me, I won't say a word either. Hopefully, it wasn't the same chick. Hey, if it was, does it matter?

:mrgreen: :rotflmao: :cryinlaugh: :pumpkin: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh:

:lol: I have no comment on any of the events that have taken place in this arena. As for the commercial I love that thing. One of my favorites. But for the best commercials of all time visit http://www.trunkmonkey.com