You guys ( and Girl ) are great!

Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts | 0+
Northern California
I am so glad this forum found me, or, well whatever. It's so much fun to pursue this hobby with you all. I have been here a short time and I have learned so much. I am having Septoplasy surgury on Thursday. I have had Sinusitis all my life and it is now time to have my septum straightend and put a hopeful end to these darn headaches. My fear is that I am going to lose a % of my sence of taste. I am a Chef by trade and taste is kinda important, duh. Also if I lose my taste I'm gonna miss the wonderful experience of the complexity of fine cigars. I'm wondering if any of you have had this surgury and your experience after. Also at 10am PST on Thursday the 23rd if you could drop a word to the big fella upstairs. Thanks for being there and all your help. :sm_angel:

Best of luck with the procedure. Never had it done but will go smoothly. The big guy told me so.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I had my deviated septum corrected, to whatever extent it could be, on July 12, 1982. Has eliminated or minimized certain problems, reduced others, and hasn't affected the taste buds at all, trust me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :mrgreen:

Good Luck there brother, we will all be thinking of you.

I cannot help but think that this surgery will do more good than harm. My wife has the same problem, just not as bad, and so far we have avoided the knife, but I know some day that time will probably come to.

Bloofington said:
I don't know if it's the same thing, but I had my deviated septum corrected, to whatever extent it could be, on July 12, 1982. Has eliminated or minimized certain problems, reduced others, and hasn't affected the taste buds at all, trust me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :mrgreen:

It is AMAZING how Bloof can give you an EXACT date for any event in his life. I can't even remember which day is Sunday!

BTW Foodislife, good luck on your procedure. It is a very common surgery, so you will be just fine!!!

Good luck, man. We will all be rooting for you on Thursday. I'll drop a line to the man tomorrow morning for you.

Chef, I know the feeling, surgery is never any fun & loosing a bit of your ability to taste & smell is a horrable thing for us in our line of work, well your work & my retirement , , last November I had a minor procedure that turned into a major problem & a long hospital stay, & my sence of smell & my taste buds did take a big hit, I am just starting to get back the taste & hope the smell will be soon, not that it was gone, but old things I had stored in the memorie bank didnt taste or smell the same, I needed to establish a new base line for my tastes & smell & relearning some thing I have been doing all my life is prooving to be a little tuff, good thing I am retired or I might have been out of a job for a few months instead of a few weeks . I dont want to scare you , just know that we are with you & have been there & done it , you will get past it with out a problem.
I worked with an Air Force Vet that had NO sence of smell or taste , he got sprayed with rocket fuel & almost passed when he was in the Air Force, well it left him with out any sence of smell or taste at all he he was working as one of my line cooks , didnt know the difference in taste between salt & sugar, but he could work the broiler like a champ, just dont ask him to make a sauce or soup ! the bad thing about it was he didnt know if smoething was bad or not, as time went on he did get some of his taste back & the smell came back a little in a few months after he quit & took a job in the Heating & A/C business , I wanted him to come back but he was working days not evenings & making almost the same amount of $$$ , but now he could go out & in his words " Chase Broads " at night , not stand in front of the broiler all night , he could get HOT in his own way !!!
Good luck !!!

Enjoy, Vince

Sprayed with rocket fuel, huh? Well, I'll be drinking some in a little while, but I don't want to get sprayed with it. I love to eat. I love the senses of taste and smell. Thank God I have them. I wouldn't want to imagine life if I couldn't taste the linguini with 67 cloves of garlic and oil I'm having right now.

only 67, well if you made it with 65 or 70 could you tell the difference? hahaha Enjoy, Vince

I tied my old record a couple weeks ago with 62. I must say, I don't know about the difference in taste between 62 and 67, but it's definitely more garlicy than when I've done it with 50-55. :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :rotflmao:

My wife made salsa one time and after she made it, she asked me if a clove of garlic was an entire head or just one of the little petal things.

The teachers at her school complained of their husbands not wanting to come near them, but it did lower my blood cholesterol for a few days.

I've always wanted to try my hand at making chicken and 40 cloves.

-D

I did 14 chickens for a party one time, 40 cloves in each chicken, the kitchen smelled Marvalous ! hahahaha, you talk about lowering you colestrol, well after that meal no one had to by gas for the lawn mower for weeks ! hahahaha , Glad I wasnt there for breakfast the next morning ! KABOOOOOM , dont light any matches hahahaha
Enjoy,, Vince

Avgeek, that's a good one. I get that question all the time. :cryinlaugh: Depending on the type of garlic and size of the head, a single head can average about 13-14 cloves. I took the four biggest heads of garlic out of the fridge tonight. The first three each had enough material to make 17 "average" sized cloves of garlic, and the last head had enough for 16, hence the final tally of 67. Those were pretty big heads. I was not only surprised, but quite pleasantly, to smash my PR by five cloves. It's also going to do wonders for me, because right now I'm very, very sick. Had to call in sick to the temp job tonight. It wasn't that busy there anyway, but it hurt to miss again. No work, no pay.

But I'll wake up tomorrow feeling like someone poured garlic oil into my mouth while I was sleeping, and it kept filling up my body like it was a bottle until it overflowed. Imagine brushing and flossing and waking up with a mouthful of garlic oil anyway.

IT'S GREAT!!! :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :sm_angel:

Man, for once I'm not the only one that loves garlic.

I use garlic powder like other people use salt.

Garlic and onions, yumm yumm.

Garlic in my chicken, garlic in my burgers. Gotta love it.

Anytime I cook with animal flesh, onions and/or garlic are usually nearby.
-D

I've got a nice rub that I make with salt, black pepper, basil, oregano, pressed garlic, and a little safflower oil. This goes on steaks and burgers whenever I broil them. I spread it on one side, then after the first turn, it gets spread on the other side as well. Animal flesh and garlic are a natural. :thumbsup:

"Hey Boss, I've got a code and two pair of plans, ha, ha, haaaa!!!"