Young’s Oatmeal Stout

Joined Jan 2003
4K Posts | 0+
South Carolina
Mentioned in the As American as Bic Pens thread, I feel this beer deserves additional mention here. Especially since it is so hard to find. Here are the links that Schmit managed to track down (good work Schmit!) …

Youngs Oatmeal Stout

Click here for a review.

Go forth and spread the word! Young’s Oatmeal Stout is the beer to drink! Now more than ever since the Brits are fighting side by side with our troops in Iraq. The least we can do in the States is buy their excellent beer!

Cheers! :cheerschug:

Ya know, Fernando has a point. we should support the UK as they are supporting us.

I think everyone should go out and purchase either a 4 pack of Guinness or Young's (pint cans mind you, the ones with the widget) to show their appreciation of their Support of US Forces.

If for some chance when you open your first of either, you happen not to like the taste, not to worry... you will have shown you support of ours and their Armed Forces.

As I am still on the payroll of the Marine Corps you can send the remaining cans that you don't drink to me... e-mail me for an address. I will do my best to complete the task of drinking them. You know what they say... Call in the Marines!

Schmidt,
Not only to honor my country, I now feel I must honor you too and will go out to buy Youngs Oatmeal Stout. God bless America (and Schmidt too)! :cheerschug: :D
Ken

Ken Sirlin said:
Schmidt,
Not only to honor my country, I now feel I must honor you too and will go out to buy Youngs Oatmeal Stout. God bless America (and Schmidt too)! :cheerschug: :D
KKen

Ken,

No need to honor me.... my Tag Line says it all.

But any reason to by Guinness or Youngs is a good reason! :D

Schmidt,
Couldn't agree with you more!! :beer: Fact is I went out last night and a local beverage store had a lot of the Youngs beers except they were out of Oatmeal Stout. I'll have to wait until their next delivery on Saturday. At least I have something now to look forward to this week. :)
Ken

I managed to get some Oatmeal Stout during a trip to NY. Now I'm happy :thumbsup:

:beer:

Still searching for it. If I don't find it soon, someone's gonna have to mail me a bottle to quench my curiosity. :wink:

Ken - Sorry, the two cans are now gone. Wife had one and I had the other.

I can send the empty cans to ya via FedEx. They have cute little plastic balls in them. :p

As a fan of Young's brews, I have to tell you the best way to drink it is standing in The Lamb in London's Leadenhall Market, which is conveniently located next to my firm's London office in the Lloyd's Building. The Lamb dates back to 1780 and was used as the filming location for the bar fight in "Brannigan" (1975) starring John Wayne, with some help from Sir Richard Attenborough.

Oh, and you can get a nice sausage or roast beef sandwich for lunch to go along with your pints of Ram Rod, London Ale, Special bitter, etc., and Oatmeal stout (in bottles only, as I recall).

pints of Ram Rod, London Ale, Special bitter, etc., and Oatmeal stout (in bottles only, as I recall).

WHAT? :shock:

Are you telling me that that one of the staples of life on the British Isles is not available on Draught?!?!? My faith has been shattered. :cry: :cry:

Very soon Munenn and me will be hopping on our bikes and doing some site seeing on the way to New York. One of the things I’m very much looking forward to is picking up some Young’s Oatmeal Stout when I’m up there. Too bad I won’t have any space on the bike to bring some back with me.

Schmit, I only meant that it isn't on tap at The Lamb. They have a bunch of taps -- I recall about a dozen -- dispensing traditional English bitter and ale, as well as cider and European lager (like Stella Artois). Several of the products are Young's but some are not. They sell most of the Young's products in bottles as they couldn't sell all of them on draught.

I suspect you could find the draught Oatmeal Stout at one of the other Young's pubs.

BTW, while Young's Brewery owns The Lamb (and other pubs), The Lamb is what is known as a "free house." In older days, when a brewery owned a pub, the pub sold only that brewery's products. So, when you walked into The Lamb, you could only buy Young's brews. A "free house" is allowed to sell any brand. I don't think there are too many pubs left in London that are not "free houses." But you still see the "free house" sign on some pubs there.

Also, a recent introduction in London pubs this spring was Guinness Extra Cold. Same delicious Guinness, served -- as you could guess -- extra cold. :beer:

Ah, English beer, yes indeed!!! Some of my favorite beers are English, and by the way Fernando, next time you're in New York City looking for the delicious Young's Oatmeal Stout, don't get it in cans, look for the bottle. Sheesh, I didn't even know it came in cans!!!

By the way, one of my sister's best friends married an Englishman who is, without being famous (yet!!!) one of the world's foremost authorities on beer. He publishes a newsletter called The Imbiber, and is now handling beer tastings and pub crawls both here and "across the lake." His specialty and preference is cask conditioned ale and he is currently in a tight schmooze with the owner of a fine pub in Brooklyn, NY called The Brazen Head and recently headed a fine and very successful, fine tasting of several different cask conditioned ales. We need to give this young Englishman and his mates our support by encouraging the consumption of these fine brews right here in the USA. Demand English beer!!!

As times goes on I will post more suggestions, but I couldn't agree more that it's a good time in American history to help the British economy, so here's a few now:

ANY of the Samuel Smith's line, particularly:

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - by far the one I prefer and the first of its kind that I had when I started drinking "real" beer back in '88.
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout - an acquired taste, but very nice
Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome