Zippo lighter fluid

Joined Apr 2004
1K Posts | 0+
S.E. Louisiana
This looks like the closest forum, so here goes... I'm not an avid smoker, but I do go for a cigar every now and then. I picked up a Zippo lighter about a year ago as a general purpose fire-starting tool to keep around the house, and for lighting the occasional smoke. I've been using Zippo brand lighter fluid, but that stuff might as well be water. I have to refill the lighter about once a week just to be able to use it, as the fluid evaporates from the lighter. Is there a better, longer-lasting fluid available? Reloading all the time is no fun.

I haven't used a zippo in a long time, for much the same reason you mentioned. As for use with a cigar... that probably isn't a good idea since it really changes the flavor of the cigar in a bad way. I use kitchen matches, haven't sprung for a torch lighter yet.

Mike

yea, i had a zippo for a while that some one left in my car. i started keeping it in a zip lock bag cause after a while it would be dry, what a pain. i got a butane torch lighter off ebay a couple weeks ago. much better.

For a cheap lighter, you can't beat a Bic.

Lighter that use lighter fluid, are a no no when it comes to cigars. Although, I did try a Zippo with denatured alcohol. I worked, but the flame was to small.

As I mentioned in the original post, lighting cigars is not the primary purpose of this lighter. Still looking for a good fluid... I'd heard there was a better fluid than the Zippo brand-name stuff, but I can't remember now what it was. Hoping one of you might know... Anybody here smoke lowly cigarettes?

you can get a 10 dollar torch lighter from ebay that uses butane. thats what i got, its really good. though i dont know how long its going to last, seems solid enough. the bottle is plastic but the case is all metal.

I do recall there being a fluid like that, I've always used Ronsol fluid for my Zippos. I don't actually know if it's better or worse than Zippo fluid. Hope that helps some.