A New Bloofingtonian Top 10 of Rye and final review . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
on Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey, the 90 proof and current version of Anchor Distilling's 19 Century Style American Whiskey.

After five or six two shot tastings, this whiskey has just grown and grown on me. While I would have liked to have tasted the original barrel proof release of this, at 90 proof I find this to be a very weird, but unique and enticing rye whiskey. Each sip begins with a tangy, almost citrusy bite that dives quickly into a creamy, malty, very cereal-like blast of flavor, which builds and sweetens with each sip. I don't know if this is because of the extra water, the fact that they used charred instead of toasted barrels, plus the extra age, but I'm going for this again some day. Not only that, but I still have about a third of a bottle left, and it's ALL MINE!!! :sm_angel:

I find the Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey to be amazing and unique enough to crack the Top Five and go up against Sazerac, but alas, I could not bump Sazerac out of it's vaunted position. Nevertheless, Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey, the current 90 proof version of Anchor's 19th Century Style Whiskey is a fine, top shelf, bold, if weird tasting whiskey.

I have long suspected that I would like this way more than my initial tastings of their 18th Century Style Whiskey and I was right. I may go back to taste the 18th Century Whiskey again, but this one is just fine, a big winner and a future purchase for sure.

Top 10 Rye List

1. The Classic Cask Single Batch 22 year old
2. Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 21 year old
4. Sazerac 18 year old
5. Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey
6. Black Maple Hill 18 year old
7. Old Overholt
8. Jim Beam Rye
9. Wild Turkey Rye
10. Hirsch Reserve 13 year old

I don't see my preferred whiskey there - guess I'll have to stop drinking it :)

Speaking of Ryes - I recently (officially) tasted the 2004 Fall Release of Sazerac Rye - What a fantastic bottle it is! I think I like the Van Winkle Rye slightly better and would place it as number one with the Sazerac Rye 04 following a VERY close second.

Well, it seems that a place you referred me to recently is listing the Sazerac. If she's stocking the 2004 release, maybe I'll get that when I visit since her price is very good.

Be sure to give it lots of time in the glass. This release is perplexingly complex! I know you have a timescale you already use, but I'd suggest pouring a double and spending double the time you normally would with it.

It does expand as time progresses (imho). Just trying to keep you from rushing through it and throwing it to the curb with everything else LOL. I figure if I can ever make it to the right (read wrong) side of the country, I'll need to rent a UHaul to take all the stuff you hate off your hands!
8)

:cryinlaugh:

Actually, between what I don't like and what I think it's come time to share, I got so overstocked I had to give away four bottles this week, and still five to go including an unopened Stagg 2004. :sm_angel:

I always pour myself a double, and as you know my sips are taken at 25, 45, 60, 75, 90 and 105 minutes out of the bottle. Do you mean I should pour four shots and spend three and a half hours drinking it, or is my normal procedure good enough? It seems to me that's enough time to expand in the glass. And don't worry, Sazerac is one of my all-time favorite ryes, which makes it right up there with my favorite bourbons. I doubt I'll have a problem with it. She's got a great price, and if she really has it, I'm probably taking one home as soon as money allows.

By the way folks, stay tuned for my review on my latest bottle of Booker's. Right here, on WBLF-6969.69, All Bloofy, All The Thyme (and Cilantro) Radio.