Choices

Joined Apr 2005
3K Posts | 0+
Machias Maine
I was thinking this would be a great question to ask you guys. I am shopping for cigars. What is the one Single I have to have? Maybe just because it should be tried? What is the one box should I have? I guess I am asking what would be the must have of each choice?

Travis

Not enough info..

There is no in my mind must have. It really depends what you like. I think you are going to find people like Cusano 18, Rocky Patel, Short story's. If I were you I would NOT buy a box yet. Buy singles to find what you like first.

yeah, i would not buy a box yet. single wise you have to try a davidoff mill. blend, robusto or whatever size you like. these are NICE!!!

so many to chose from, most definitely an Ashton vsg, la aura 100 anos, this is a must.

reg. cigars, go with padron like 3000, there always great.

I almost forgot "GOD OF FIRE" how could I do that :shock:

I am smoking a CAO cameroon right now very good. I am liking all the CAO's I have tried so far.

Travis

Alex Svenson said:
Cusano 18 and Corojo 1997

Ditto. Add the Patel 90, 92, and 99 CT. Though I wouldn't buy any boxes yet. Stick to singles for a while and develop your palate a little. Buy at least two or three singles at a time. Never judge a cigar after just one. Keep notes, I tried so many cigars when I started and had to go back and resmoke all of them because I didn't know what I though of them.

As everyone suggested, stick with singles until you find one that you like.

Try one of c.com's sampler packages for an assortment of singles.

Doc-T is right. Samplers are a great way to find what you like and dont like. A plus is that samplers are normally a good price.

I've found some great sticks through c.com's cigar of the month too...

I would agree with everyone that said not to start buying boxes just yet. My advice would be to go visit your local cigar merchant and explain that you are just getting started and have him get you a variety of singles, try and hit the entire spectrum from mild to full bodied and then see what you prefer. I am almost two years into this hobby now and I still buy singles, a five pack here and there but mostly singles, trying new stuff and old favorites 50/50. Your in a good spot Travis, everything is sort of new, enjoy this time and try as many different smokes as you can.

Cloudy said:
My advice would be to go visit your local cigar merchant and explain that you are just getting started and have him get you a variety of singles, try and hit the entire spectrum from mild to full bodied and then see what you prefer.

My " local" guy is in Canada. Big mark up. I have to do my shoping on the internet. I bought the last batch from Rockys in Ny.

Travis

Here's what you do. Buy about twenty singles, a box worth, of various kinds and find out what you like. C.com is a great place to start. I would recommend picking up the c.com label sampler. The Cuban label is fantastic! Also, if you like the CAO Cameroon, you'll love the c.com Cameroon. Pick up a 5 Vegas sampler, these are very good smokes and you won't be disappointed. Also, pick up some Cusano Corojo 1997. All of these are great for newbies or people who've been smoking for a while. If you're a member of the COTM club, you'll get an extra discount. Call up Donny or Tim on the hot line. They'll treat you right.

chrisguinther said:
would recommend picking up the c.com label sampler. The Q*ban label is fantastic!
Caution: the house blends' ash does not keep. I usually wear all black so, this is a big problem for me. Don't get me wrong I love the c.com labels just not the ash when it falls on me. :wink:

try some la aroma de cuba, cigar.com has them. these were one of my favorite brand when I first started smoking, I still like to keep a few around.