Cigars lose flavor!

Joined Mar 2005
6 Posts | 0+
Hello. I'm pretty new to cigars but I've been doing alot of research and I could use some advice. My cigars despite being kept at between 70 and 72% humidity and around 55 degrees seem to lose their flavor in just a couple of weeks. I'm expecting my 65% beads any day now and hopefully they will bring the humidity down some. Do you believe that the humidity's the problem or is the temp to low? I keep them in the basement because I figure it has the most consistent temp especially once summer arrives. I would appreciate any suggestions as it's very frustrating to feel like I'm doing things right but the cigars still lose their flavor. Thanks

bryansf7741, welcome to the forum! I'm not sure why this is happening to you, i have never heard of this before. I like to keep my cigars around 65%, but I don't think that a higher RH level would affect the taste at all, unless your sticks don't burn well then that might have something to do with it. 55 degrees seems a little low to me, but not that low. What kind of humidor do you have? The sticks are only two weeks old? Where do you buy them from?

Hello. Thanks for responding! The humidor is the Diamond Crown Strathmore that I actually bought from Cigar.com. I have a digital hygrometer. It's pretty humid in my basement and I have the vents on the humidification device completely closed and it still is reading 72%! I bought the cigars from Famous Smoke Shop.com and they tasted fine when I received them but they've been steadily losing flavor. I do have a slight problem with burn, I have to relight a couple of times but it doesn't happen everytime. The cigars don't even have their aroma anymore, they just smell like smoke and taste like nothing, it's very frustrating.

That's very interesting....I do find that cigars burn better at a lower RH, but as far as flavor, you got me. What are the smokes that lost the flavor?

I have 3 brands in the humidor right now. The Macanudo Ascots and the Astral Favoritos have lost some flavor but not to the extent as the Creme De Jamaica Coronas. I guess I'm just going to have to hope that maybe the humidity is higher then I think and maybe the beads will help with that. I do appreciate your quick responses..

do you leave the plastic on them? if they come with plastic that is...

No I always remove the plastic. Do you think I should try leaving them in the plastic and just opening the end of the cello?

well, "they" say that if you leave the plastic on a cigar it wont age nearly as fast, might help your problem as well. dont know why your having that problem though. are you sure you hygrometer is accurate?

jihiggs is right. all those cigars you mentioned are too mild to keep for longer that 6 months without losing flavor. You should at least keep them in cello.

I do appreciate your advice and I will try leaving the cello on in the future. I understand what you're saying about aging but I've only had the sticks for two weeks and they tasted fine when I received them. I may be to picky but their is a definite difference in the way they smoke. Would two weeks without the cello make that big of a difference? I'm actually hoping so and that way I can correct the problem.

i wouldnt think so, but i dont know what kind of cigars those are that you have. maybe they seem to have more to them because when you just smoke them they still have gases in them and whatnot and you take them out of the plastic and the gas goes away. this is what happens when you let a cigar rest. it removes harshness from stronger cigars. so in short, maybe the cigars you have dont have that much flavour to begin with?

Well, without insulting the purchase made, I have to echo the sentiment that those cigars aren't famous for being big in the flavor department.

I still find one other thing very interesting here. Bryan states that he has a digital hygrometer and that it's showing proper humidity levels. He also states he's done a lot of research and so I don't think he's done anything blindly. But he seems to be in a circumstance that I've never heard of before. According to Bryan his basement is a steady 55 degrees, and yet his humidor is able to maintain proper humidity levels. 55 degrees is the lowest room temperature I've ever heard of.

I believe that Bryan is on the precipice of some groundbreaking research here. Either that or he'd better move those cigars. And the reason I say these things is that in just about anybody's apartment or house, or even in any office environment, the average room temperature is usually at the very least in the upper 60's, and ranging to the low 70's. Indeed, science tells us that "optimum room temperature" for humans is 72 degrees. In my case, I prefer a room temperature of 73-74 for my own comfort and also health reasons.

So, my conclusion is that there MAY be one of the most interesting and valuable pieces of cigar storage research occurring right before our eyes. And the conclusion of the research doesn't look good. It is extremely hard to maintain proper humidity levels without a certain supportive temperature. The fact that Bryan can even maintain his humidity levels in a room temperature of 55 is amazing. However, since there is also an "optimum temperature" for cigars, which is between 68-72, I'd suggest Bryan perform an experiment and at least temporarily move the cigars to an area with a more "normal" room temperature for two weeks and then get back to us.

It is possible that despite proper humidity levels, although less important when it's low, the presence of a lower than "normal" temperature is sapping the cigars of their flavor.

I have taken your advice and moved the cigars upstairs. I only had the cigars in the basement because the temp is more consistent. The temp upstairs is right around 70 degrees right now but come spring and summer I'm afraid keeping the temp at 70 will become very difficult and I'm afraid of the tobacco beetle. I guess at this point I'll just leave them upstairs and take my chances with the fluctuating temp come summer. Thanks again for all of your help, It's appreciated!

why dont you just move them back downstairs when it gets hot.

Questions"

Do you smoke in the basement?
I ask becase RH is effected by temp.
I would think that (maybe) the rh is much higher, but seems lower in the colder temp.
Also a higher rh will mute the flavors in a cigar!

Also have you salt tested your hygro?

Temp and humidity

I had the understanding that at lower tempuratures the ideal humidity was also lower - otherwise condensation might become a problem. I may be off on that, never having played too much with the variations myself. I keep my humidor right next to me on my computer desk (in fact, I'm eyeing it right now). :wink:

This is a very good topic.
I'm in my 4th year of cigars, and use 4 good quality humidors in my upstairs bedroom.I can maintain 65% humidity be means of gel tubes and a small dish of distilled water.House temperature is normally in the 67 to 72 degree range. I'll use twice as much water in middle winter when house is dry.Summer is OK due to air conditioning and my water reduces.
Humidity is the key. I find 65% perfect.
I smoke medium to full bodied cigars, and never a drop in flavor per my taste..
Mild cigars could be the issue, and not your system.
I have a friend who has almost 1,000 cigars stored in a used referigator which is plugged in.He keeps a dish of distilled water in the frig which he monitors. Never a problem for my friend.
I would not be affraid to store cigars at 55 degrees provided humidity is monitored.
In conclusion, I smoke mostly Padron's- which are aged prior to rolling.In my opinion, all cigars need to rest without wrappers for around two weeks in ones humidor before smoking.Any cigar requiring over two weeks was just sold too young.If a cigar needs
aging, in order to smoke properly, it was sold before its time.Cigar aging should be done by others not the buyer.If I get a cigar at my local shop- it should be ready- no amonia- no hick ups.
This is a big reason why I like padron.When I buy a Padron, they are ready.
Malone

malone said:
In my opinion, all cigars need to rest without wrappers for around two weeks in ones humidor before smoking.Any cigar requiring over two weeks was just sold too young.
If a cigar needs aging, in order to smoke properly, it was sold before its time.Cigar aging should be done by others not the buyer.If I get a cigar at my local shop- it should be ready- no amonia- no hick ups.
Malone

Sorry to get off topic (kind of)!
But it sounds you have been talking to Domestic cigar dealers.
There is some truth to your statement, but it falls short in some ways.
Lets just say that there is a cigar that is just one of the very best cigars there is! & the demand is so high the cigar is sold one year before it should.
But sells out very fast!
Does buying a box and letting it sit for year seem wrong?
This in fact happens all the time with Cuban cigars.
Now if your smoking hand to mouth I understand, but if you are a serious smoker and have the time and room to store smokes,
why not buy the best and play the game????
CC :roll:

My statement was about non-Cuban cigars. If I'm buying Cubans, I request a box with at least one year of age.
I like trying lots of cigars by buying singles.Then Ill buy by the box to get a better price. Many are just too young to fully enjoy.

malone said:
My statement was about non-Cuban cigars. If I'm buying Cubans, I request a box with at least one year of age.
I like trying lots of cigars by buying singles.Then Ill buy by the box to get a better price.
Many are just too young to fully enjoy.

I'm glad to know we agree!

I had only brought it up as I have heard many Domestic Cigar vendors use that same qoute on why their cigars are superior to Cubans.