diploma maduro or natural?

Amy

Joined Nov 2003
2K Posts | 0+
Paradise CA
can some one post some pics of the natural and the maduro diploma? i got my order today but i think i got maduro diplomas instead of natural, they seem a lot darker than i remember, i just want to make sure im not mistaken. on second inspection in better light, im sure they are maduro. they are almost as dark as the cao brazilia i put them next to! guess ill be calling marc tomorow

As an expert on diploma I will clear this up for you. The maduro says maduro on the little band.

Camacho cigars that are maduro look almost identicle to the natural wrapper. I have some that you would not be able to tell the difference if put them side by side. But reguardless of how similar the wrappers look, they taste distinctly different. The maduro and the natural wrappers for the corojo come from different primings on the plant and are fermented differently.

Technically a true maduro looks like a dark natural anyway. However, lots of companies use dies and other processes to darken the wrappers to make them look more maduro. Lots of people do it and it is for asthetics and is okay. Anyway I hope this helps.

That makes sense Macallan, but how can I tell the difference in the case of the un-banded Diplomas? I just stocked up on those and I'd hate to have the wrong ones.

unfortunately if they are unbanded you will not be able to tell very easily. If you bought them from a store, I dont know what to tell you. If you bought them online, then chances are what you have is what you ordered. I inquired with Christian Eiroa of Camacho and he said they only ones that really ever came unbanded for a short few week period of time were the naturals so chanves are that is what you have.

Best way to tell is to smoke it. If draws 3-7 and very very edgy you have a natural. Also before lighting it put it in your mouth for a a minute. If it is sweeter then it is maduro, if it almost stings a little and you kind of get the "pins and needles" feeling on your lips, it is natural. These are traits that I have noted for both wrappers of this particular line but everyone tastes thing differently so this might be harder to tell..

MACALLAN THE DIPLOMA MAN!!!

If you were a woman, I would marry you!! :lol: :lol:

Thor...now that is funny!! Thanks for the info Macallan! I always enjoy soaking in your posts! I just bought a 15 year bottle of Macallan and was laughing to myself the whole way out of the liquor store after this post!

Regards,
Paul

Gladly my friend!! I will tip one back for the man named after the fine scotch!

:beer:

See, now we are talking! a nice scotch, thor's kickin back a few brews...Now you guys are making me want to come out to Chi-town and burn a smoke and drink with you fellows!

Road trip! :D

Oh ya, I took the Diploma out in the box pass, My first!! My order hasn't been filled yet, so this is my first...Might burn it tonight!!!!

whoooooohoooo

jihiggs said:
why are they so dark?

Because thats the way that particular bunch of wrapper aged.

Some leaves get more bottom time during the aging process. 8)

The good news is that every box looks consistant within itself. They take tons of time sorting by color so your box looks so nice.

Anyone prefer the 11/18 or 07/05 to the standard Diploma? (like me, I think it's the 07/05 then 11/18 then Diploma)

Bulz,

It is great to have another camacho corojo lover on the site. However, I cant share you settiments as I am not too partail to the 7/05 or 11/18 However, I did get a prerelease sample of the 2005 liberty which is going to be the same size as the diploma. It will hopefully be out next month and I tell you it is amazing. :D

I just cant get into the funky shape on the 7/05 or the 11/18 I wish the used the same ltd edition wrapper and came out with a pyramid like the regular line camacho corojo figurado.

Macallan said:
I just cant get into the funky shape on the 7/05 or the 11/18 I wish the used the same ltd edition wrapper and came out with a pyramid like the regular line camacho corojo figurado.

That would officially make my day! I love the Corojo Figurados myself, having one with the best leaves of the crop of, to me, the best strain of tobacco, would be absolutely amazing.

Another thing I would like to see is how a Corojo wrapper with Criollo filler/binder would work...

It could be done, the camacho havana was one of the first criollos. However, that criollo is typically used for the wrapper so it would be a fairly expensive cigar.

Yeah, what is interesting about the near-exclusivity of Criollo as a wrapper leaf is that, unless I am mistaken, it was primarily a filler/binder leaf in Cuba, where Corojo was the primary wrapper.

Bulz said:
The good news is that every box looks consistant within itself. They take tons of time sorting by color so your box looks so nice.

I've noticed that as well. The other day I took all the Diplomas out of one of the boxes I've opened and placed them side by side on my desk. Not only were they indentical in shade, but all were free of water spots and other blemishes. They've done a great job with presentation and that goes a long way with me.