Don Thomas Returns To Its Roots

Joined Dec 2004
1K Posts | 0+
Chicago
The following press release was issued by general cigar today.

Mods: This is a public press release intended for reprint and distribution.

For Immediate Release
August 3, 2005
[email protected]

Don Tomás Returns to Its Roots

New York, NY—Classics never go out of style. Perhaps that’s why Don Tomás® Clásico is returning to its roots. The Honduran cigars which wear natural and Maduro wrappers will soon debut at retail featuring the blends that made the original brand one of the best, most sought-after Honduran cigars in the world.

In its pre-cigar-boom heyday, Don Tomás was a striking example of what a great hand-crafted Honduran cigar should be. It was at once a well-constructed cigar, with consistently rich flavor and a smoothness that made it a pleasure to smoke. A tobacco shortage during the boom led to the use of tobaccos, such as those from Indonesia, Columbia and Mexico, which were more abundant.

Whit Beebe, director of marketing for Don Tomás cigars comments, “The new Don Tomás returns to its original Honduran taste profile. With the collaboration of General Cigar’s premier cigar masters, Daniel Nuñez and Estelo Padrón, we have taken a brand with a less-than-excellent blend and have developed it into a cigar that we predict will rank among the finest Honduran blends in the marketplace.”

Both the natural and Maduro varieties of Don Tomás Clásico are filled with a blend of rich, full-flavored Honduran and Nicaraguan tobaccos, which are cultivated in the rich soil near Danlí, Honduras. The natural varieties which are wrapped in Honduran Havana seed, are bound with Honduran leaf. The Maduros bear a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper and a Connecticut Maduro binder.

Slated for retail release in October, Don Tomás Clásico will consist of a re-blend of six old Don Tomás frontmarks whose sizes remain unchanged. Three sizes (Corona Grande, Cetro # 2 and Coronitas) will only be available with natural wrappers. Corona Grande, a tubo, measures 6 ½” x 44 and will be available for $4.60 per cigar, or $115 for a box of 25 tubos. Cetro # 2, a 6 ½” x 44 cigar comes with an SRP of $3.60 per stick, or $90.00 for a 25-count box. Packaged in tins containing ten cigars, Coronitas are a 4 3/16” x 32 cigar that will sell for $11.00 per tin or $110.00 for a carton containing ten tins.

The remaining three frontmarks (Presidente, Robusto, Rothschild) will be available with both natural and Maduro wrappers. At 7 ½” x 50, Presidente will retail for $3.95 per cigar, or $98.75 for a 25-count box. At $3.10 per stick, or $77.50 for a box of 25, the Robusto measures 5 ½” x 50. The Rothschild frontmark (4 ½” x 50) will sell for $2.90 per cigar, or $72.50 for a box of 25.

Packaging for Don Tomás Clásico cigars is taking a new turn, too. Tweaked to be crisp and contemporary, the package graphics for the natural cigars now boast a bold yellow wrapset. The package for Don Tomás Clásico Maduro cigars has been completely overhauled to stand on its own. Once a shadow of its naturally-wrapped sister cigars with only a Maduro sticker as a designation, Don Tomás Clásico Maduro cigars will now sport a look all their own, with a battleship gray wrapset, replete with a black, red and gold logo.

To encourage consumer trial, a three-cigar sampler pack and display will be available at retail. The packs will be sold as a buy-two-get-one-free promotion, for $6.20 per pack and will contain two cigars with natural wrappers (Don Tomás Clásico Robusto and Rothschild) and one with a Maduro wrapper (Robusto).
-more-

2/2/2

Don Tomás Clásico cigars are produced by Villazon & Co., a subsidiary of General Cigar Co., Inc., which manufactures and markets handcrafted cigars for the premium market. Committed to delivering cigars of the finest quality, General Cigar produces Macanudo®, Partagas®, Cohiba®, Punch®, Excalibur®, Hoyo de Monterrey® and several other leading premium brands. In addition, the company grows its own premium Connecticut Shade wrapper tobacco, as well as natural and candela wrapper in the Dominican Republic. General Cigar also operates Club Macanudo®, a cigar bar in New York City. Based in New York City, General Cigar sells through tobacconists nationwide. For more information about General Cigar, please visit http://www.cigarworld.com

® Don Tomás, Macanudo, Partagas, Cohiba, Punch, Excalibur, Hoyo de Monterrey and Club Macanudo are registered trademarks of General Cigar Co., Inc.
# # #

I, for one, am looking forward to this make over. I was a DON Tomas fan and am ready to try the new offerings.

I too, like the Don Tomas , especially the robusto. It is a cheaper cigar, but I like the fact that I never have to re light it

The remaining three frontmarks (Presidente, Robusto, Rothschild) will be available with both natural and Maduro wrappers. At 7 ½” x 50, Presidente will retail for $3.95 per cigar, or $98.75 for a 25-count box. At $3.10 per stick, or $77.50 for a box of 25, the Robusto measures 5 ½” x 50. The Rothschild frontmark (4 ½” x 50) will sell for $2.90 per cigar, or $72.50 for a box of 25.

Now this looks pretty interesting...and a good price too.

The only Don Tomas I have tried is the Special Edition Corojo, No. 2 Torpedo 6 x 52.
Hadn't seen much about Don Tomas, but it was a good looking stick and decided to try it, have since bought more and really enjoy them, local shop price is $4.50.
I thought a good price for the cigar.
Good to hear more about Don Tomas.

Pretty impressive. I can also say, without equivocation, that if any of these new Don Tomas cigars were to make it into my humidors, they would receive some LONG term aging. Honduran AND Nicaraguan tobacco in the SAME cigar. Uh oh.

:eek:mg: :bolt: