Great Beers

Bloofington said:
I will chime in with names that I remember from my 15 years of drinking real beer, as they come up.

Bloof -

Do you ever recall trying - (and I'll do my best here) -

√ Monkshof St. Sixtus (Belgium) Abbey Ale ?

√ Orangeboom ?

Either I tasted old spoiled bottlings, or these two are just plan gross !

I don't drink much anymore . . . here were / are some of my

favourites FWIW -

Domestic Lager -

√ Heilemans [sic] Special Export

√ Rolling Rock

√ Lowerbrau (when the batch was good)
(Miller Brewing - IIRC ?)

Domestic Ale -

Sie. Nev. Ale

RedTail Ale

Anchor Christmas Ale

Import -

Anything in Sam Smith

Bellhaven Scottish Ale

Swiss Lowenbrau

Spaten Munich Light

Watneys Ale

Sure their are others . . . . these just came to mind !

Best !
:wink:

Cloudy -

In all fairness, I'll bet you're right . .. ... Too much time on the shelf. It wasn't exactly a household brew was it ? :p

The "Born On Date" . . . really, not such a bad idea.

:wink:

Wow...a threat dedicated to Beer...that's what I like to see.

Well, being that drinking beer is one of my favorite pastimes, I'll share a couple of my favorites. I have to say, I am very partial to the German Hefeweizen style.

Schneider Aventinus - Wheat/Dobblebock
Schneider Weisse Original - Original Wheat
Erdinger - Again, traditional wheat
Weihenstephaner - oldest brewery in the world.

At any time one of those can be found in my fridge.

Among the list of others I frequent

USA
Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager - although difficult to find
Wolaver's I.P.A.
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Ramstein Blonde - wheat brewed right here in Jersey
Flying Fish E.S.B - also brewed here in Jersey

Belgian
Chimay Cinq Cents - in my opinion better than the red and blue, sometimes called Chimay Blanche (white)
Stella Artois
Duvel

England
Hobgoblin
Mackeson XXX Stout
Anything Samuel Smith (Oatmeal Stout, Nut Brown, Taddy Porter)
Old Speckled Hen....have to be in the mood for this one

Scotland
SkullSplitter
Merlin's Ale
Kelpie - Strange chocolate ale...yes ale...and malty...I highly reccomend it

There are many more that I enjoy, these are just some that come to mind while sitting at work, patiently awaiting happy hour. Every Tuesday I sit down with some friends and we try at least 3 new beers every week. I have catologed them all and now have a vast library and am in the process of finding a way to put this information in the computer somehow so share my experiences. I can't say that my observations will be all that accurate because consumption takes precedence over accurracy of note taking...

boredatskewl said:
Wow...a threat dedicated to Beer...that's what I like to see.

Well, being that drinking beer is one of my favorite pastimes, I'll share a couple of my favorites. I have to say, I am very partial to the German Hefeweizen style.

Schneider Aventinus - Wheat/Dobblebock
Schneider Weisse Original - Original Wheat
Erdinger - Again, traditional wheat
Weihenstephaner - oldest brewery in the world.

At any time one of those can be found in my fridge.

Among the list of others I frequent

USA
Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager - although difficult to find
Wolaver's I.P.A.
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Ramstein Blonde - wheat brewed right here in Jersey
Flying Fish E.S.B - also brewed here in Jersey

Belgian
Chimay Cinq Cents - in my opinion better than the red and blue, sometimes called Chimay Blanche (white)
Stella Artois
Duvel

England
Hobgoblin
Mackeson XXX Stout
Anything Samuel Smith (Oatmeal Stout, Nut Brown, Taddy Porter)
Old Speckled Hen....have to be in the mood for this one

Scotland
SkullSplitter
Merlin's Ale
Kelpie - Strange chocolate ale...yes ale...and malty...I highly reccomend it

There are many more that I enjoy, these are just some that come to mind while sitting at work, patiently awaiting happy hour. Every Tuesday I sit down with some friends and we try at least 3 new beers every week. I have catologed them all and now have a vast library and am in the process of finding a way to put this information in the computer somehow so share my experiences. I can't say that my observations will be all that accurate because consumption takes precedence over accurracy of note taking...

Man how can you be board at school after all that?

Damn Roland,
I didn't think anyone wold bring up skull spliter. That is an awesome beer. I tried it at a beer tasting around st pattys day. So full bodied and rich. After that you will not taste any other beer. Its so good.

I'm not exactly boredatskewl any longer... I graduated almost 2 years ago. A more appropriate name should be boredatwerk...ha ha ha. And phish, I do really enjoy skullsplitter. Local to me there is an establishment that offers over 100 different types and I usually go for the skullsplitter almost every time... even with all the other choices.

Cmontgomery- I'm in E. Mesa, but would travel a ways to visit that store that's down the street from you. Would you please give me the name and adress of the place? Thank you, BB

I want to try Chimay. The local store has the blue label and red label. Whats the diff? I don't like the really fermented tatsing non-carbonated stuff like corsendonk. That stuff tastes like old tea to me.

Buckshot Bill said:
Cmontgomery- I'm in E. Mesa, but would travel a ways to visit that store that's down the street from you. Would you please give me the name and adress of the place? Thank you, BB

I think he's talking about Magnum's on the southeast corner of 7th Street and Union Hills. Take 17 north to Union Hills and exit east, it's about a mile down. They have a bomb selection and a very nice lounge as well. Heck, coming from where you are, it may be easier to take the 101 Loop to 17 south and exit Union Hills. Either way, it's well worth the drive if you don't have a cigar bar in your area. We should plan a little get together there sometime for those of us in the Phoenix area.

hammondc said:
I want to try Chimay. The local store has the blue label and red label. Whats the diff? I don't like the really fermented tatsing non-carbonated stuff like corsendonk. That stuff tastes like old tea to me.

Chimay is actually similar to Corsendonk, but I've always preferred Chimay. It's the best common Trappist ale I can think of off the top of my head.

I forget which color is which... one of them is a "single" ale. It'll be blond in color with a little sweetness to it. The other is a "double" ale, made with roasted malt. It's got a similar touch of sweetness with a solid caramelized malt flavor. Both of them have little carbonation, have a strong malt taste, and aren't heavily hopped.
There's also a triple ale, "Cing Cents" with an off-white label. That one's my personal favorite. It's similar to the single, but heavier with a stronger flavor. I'd describe the triple as "fluffy".

Another nice Trappist ale I've discovered recently is Koeningshoven. It's Dutch, rather than Belgian, but is made in the same styles as Chimay. It's quite a bit cheaper than Chimay, $6-7/bottle. It's about on par with the Canadian knock-offs from Unibrou (Maudite, La Fin du Monde, etc.), but much better in my opinion. I've never been all that impressed with Unibrou, and while I used to buy it just because it was so much cheaper than Chimay I doubt I'll be buying any more as long as I can get Koningshoeven.

Ok, now back to beer. Well, if you can call this stuff beer. I picked up some of this stuff called "Samichlaus Bier" at a local place about a week ago. It's a vintage doppelbock from Austria. The stuff I got was bottled in 2005. They make it once a year on 12/6 and age it (in wood?) for 10 months before bottling. It's about $5 for an 11.2oz bottle and 14% alcohol. No, that's not a typo. It's 14%. It's immensely tasty. It's a little sweet like a typical doppelbock, but not annoyingly so like some doppelbocks. The body of course is quite heavy, and it's distinctively more warming than your average beer.

The DogFish Head IPA's are fantastic. Just had a few of the 90 minutes at a Fantasy draft party a few weeks ago and am hooked, These are at 9% ABV. They are coming out with a 120 minute Ale in a limited release this Septermber. It is 20% ABV. Haven't seen this in the stores yet. Keep an eye out.

SAMICHLAUS, YEAH BABY!!! Now that I'm back to drinking real beer, I'll be looking that one up again some day. Not a beer for the faint of heart.

Blusteel, just got a chance to look back in the thread and see the lists you and boredatuerk posted. A good number of those and perhaps dozens more. I'll continue to look in here, because I am definitely back with beer, although taking it slow, part money reasons, partly breaking my body back in slowly.

It could be that trying to keep up with that Englishman and making sure that every one I had was at least 8%, and I'm talking non-carbonated, cask-conditioned ales here, did me in for a while back at the turn of the century.

BACK AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, . . .

too soon to use that one, by cracky.

Recently I tried a new one. Old Rasputin Russian Imerial Stout. Not this is a full bodied and dark beer. Immensly complex and a little on the syrupy side. Falvours of coffee and chocolate. It is very good.

I think we need to come up with a beer rating scale.

How about 0-100? By the way, I think I had that one many years ago. I know I've had something from that label.

phisherman said:
I think we need to come up with a beer rating scale.

Ask and ye shall receive. This is the Beer tasting/rating form that my friends and I use. It's a combination of things that I've gathered on the internet and spliced together, so don't think that I came up with all this myself.

Attachments

• tastingform_2.pdf
    109 KB · Views: 55
What the hell...while I'm on the subject...last year when I found the establishment with 100 great beers, I decided that we needed to rate them and that's where the whole Beer Club started. It has since grown immensly, but here's the initial beers that we rated in a list that I created to gather info about each beer before tasting.

Attachments

• RateList_content_9-19-06.pdf
    437.6 KB · Views: 66
Wow, this is a bitcomplex of a form. I hope it fills out and reads as easy on the forum. I think I like the idea of a 1-20 scale. Beter than the 6 we use for cigars, but not as intese as a 100 point scale. What do you guys think?

That is a great form. Now we each have to buy the initial beers on the 6 page list and have them rated by Sunday.