How do I use equisicat pearl fresh litter

Joined Nov 2005
114 Posts | 0+
MI
OK,

I became impatient and bought some equisicat litter ( the pearls ) to help with humidification in my humidors which are currently getting seasoned.

After I finish seasoning my humidors in the next day or two how do I use the cat litter. This may be a stupid question but do I do anything special like at moisture to it or what?

Do I just place them in the humidor as is?

Your feed back is greatly appreicated.

Jackie

I use this and it works well, but you have to train the crystals to a certain RH. The best way to do this is in a seasoned humidor with a boveda pack. Once the humidor is stable by using one or a number of boveda packs, then add the crystals and train them to hold at certain humidity. When cigar wise comes back up there is a link that can explain this better than I can and I will show it to you.

How would I get them in a stable RH.

That is part of my reason for using them? I don't have heartfelt beads or any other humidfication device. I am using these beads solely.

Any other ideas on how to get them trained.

I have had good results by "training" the beads as I use them. I start by mixing approx. two-thirds saturated (distilled water) beads with one-third dry beads and put them in my humi. I monitor them daily and add wet or dry beads as needed. After about a week they will began to stabilize and this has worked well for me.

Just my .02

I know its another purchase, but you can get boveda packs for about 3-4 bucks at bargainhumidors.com
One boveda pack will be able to train all of the litter you have and you will be all set going forward, using the trained litter to train new litter.

Thanks,

didn't realize they were that cheap. I didn't even know what that was at first. Thanks again. Not that I am made of money or anything but I am more impatient than poor right now.

An Oasis should be perfect for this right? I know it doesn't help CTB, but I have an Oasis that I was going to use in my frigidor (with dry beads), and if I ended up not being able to, I was going to use the beads alone. But if I can train the kitty litter with the Oasis...