Knob Creek, Ever The Best Bang For The Buck . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
bourbon, can now be found for the ludicrously low "walk-out price" of $20.58 at NYC's Astor Wines, just a few minutes by subway from Midtown-Manhattan. For what I'm sure will be a very limited time, this fine, very consistent bourbon from The Small Batch Collection, is selling for $18.99+tax. I just picked up a bottle a couple days ago, and enjoyed some early this morning, after arriving home from the city.

Before anyone says they heard about me not drinking bourbon, especially the triple-digit proof stuff in the summer, that's usually true, unless you're having a cooler than usual summer in these here parts. We've had a morning or two recently down in the 50's, and any night where the humidity is low to medium, and the temperature gets below 70, is just right for bourbon.

Nice to see No. 17, Ol' Knob Creek, tasting so good, and still being so cheap. For just a few cents more than an Ol' Hick'ry, you can walk away with one of the finest bourbons on the market, if you live in a city that's known for being one of the most expensive to live in across the nation. If you live in NYC, or happen to be around in the near future, and bourbon's your game, you'd be a fool to miss this price.

No. 6 train to Astor Place, walk down Lafayette Street to No. 399, just before the corner of 4th Street, or take the "R" train to 8th Street, walk east a block to Lafayette Street, and down to No. 399.

Having just come back from a tour of Kentucky distilleries including Heaven Hill, and having tasted many small batch and single barrel bourbons (including some 18 year old bourbons), I agree that Knob Creek is still a top choice and usually a good buy. In fact, despite all I tasted, I still like Knob Creek and Blanton's more than many others I tried.

Astor Wines is still running that crazy price on Knob Creek, folks. We're almost done with the first week of August. The "season" is coming. :mrgreen: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Still running it, and I am sipping from my first bottle as we speak. I have two more bottles of Knob Creek, purchased at that same crazy price, in the "in stock unopened" portion of the cabinet in my bar. That's enough Knob Creek to open the Fall 2007 season with. Can't beat that price, try to make it if you can. I don't know how much is left, but you can track availability by going to . . .

http://www.astorwines.com

If they're listing a different price when you a search for "knob creek," then I guess the sale's over, or if it doesn't pop up at all, they might be out of stock. When you find a price like that on Knob Creek, get it. Look at what a guy like me with no money did. I bought three bottles!!! There's almost no better way to spend $61.74. :thumbsup:

Bloofington said:
There's almost no better way to spend $61.74. :thumbsup:
Oh maybe a bottle of Spayburn (Highland)single malt @ 20.99 & a McClellends (Lowland) single malt @19.99 & a Bowmore (Islay ) legend @21.99, that totals 62.79 a few cents more , but makes more sence to me ! Bawhahahah ! Enjoy, Vince

Wow, nice selection for you single malt folks. Since there are people asking these sorts of questions all the time, which I most certainly am not qualified to answer, it's great to have a guy like Vince hanging around. When someone like Vince speaks on single malts, it's like E.F. Hutton, you have to stop and listen, because it's the wisdom of the whiskey speaking, or is that whisky, Vince? :dunno: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

better distilled spirits are WHISKYS, Bourbon is wiskey , the above post is the best cheep single malts the state of Penna has to offer, they do have the better stuff & the real pricy stuff, like the 115 Proof Dalwhinnie @ 339.99 a bottle, just a weeee dram out of my price range, like about 300 bucks out of the price range hahahaha , I guess I spend about 35 to 70 bucks a bottle, anything more than that I Pass on unless its a holiday or a sale, or if I hit the lottery hahaha, Enjoy your bourbon, it lets more scotch for me to drink !

Enjoy, Vince

I'm pretty much in that $35-70 range, too, although there's that $20.58 walk-out price on Knob Creek, that I snatched up three bottles of in a month or more. There's a lot of bang for the buck in the $35-70 range. Above that, it's hit or miss, and there's always issues of just plain affordability.

I dont mind a 20 buck bottle of single malt , but some of them are BAD, like the McCellen highland, man thats swill, the low land is ok I I will drink it , I havent had there Islay yet, but for a few bucks more I can get the Bowmore Legend Islay for 22 bucks !
Enjoy, Vince

I’m sorry to disagree with the superior taste and experience of the ole’bloofmiester, but I do not think I can finish the bottle.

To me it tastes like an old plastic lawn chair (don’t ask me how I know the difference). I thought it was at first the glass, switched glasses, same taste. I tried it with a little water, then a little more water, then ice, and still the taste was there. Then I mixed it in Coke, still could taste the lawn chair!! I even put it in a plastic drinking cup thinking the two would cancel each other out, no luck.

I guess I’m hoping it was just a bad bottle, I may get another one later this year, but I do not know.

I just got a bottle of Bookers last week, kind of excited to open it, maybe later next month.

I do like the Macallen 12yr, Glenlivet 12yr; I am looking to try Laphroaig, and Glenfarclas, but haven’t been able to find them locally.

I know what you mean about the taste of Knob Creek. For someone whose palate is also obviously sophisticated when it comes to single malts, Knob Creek might indeed taste like an old plastic lawn chair. As long as you're not smoking a cigar that tastes like road tar, no problem. I've had one or two of those lately. :sm_angel:

Wow, I’ve never been called sophisticated before. :shock: :shock:

A lot of things I cannot say here, but never that.
:lol: :wink: :thumbsup: :lol:

Well, I think that in order to enjoy single malts the way you and Vince and other people do, there is certainly a dimension of your palate that is way more developed than mine. Me, I'm a simple American kid. Make it simple, sweet and sassy, which a lot of my favorite bourbons are. Sometimes there are two flavor components, rarely there is one, but sometimes it's a wonderful one, like with my No. 20 & 24, and occasionally, as with my No. 1, there is a bumper crop of flavors.

But what it ultimately boils down to is that bourbon hits two very active and basically simple areas of my palate, sweet and sassy, or spicy might be a better description for the latter. When I've had single malts, I can tell that for someone who's used to them, they can taste a lot more going on than I can.

Also, that "plastic" you're tasting in the Knob Creek is the "vanilla and caramel" flavor notes that accompany many bourbons. I know exactly what you mean from your description. I had some Knob Creek last night or the night before, and sometimes that aspect of certain bourbons can certainly resemble an old plastic lawn chair.

One night out on the Qtr.Deck My wife was asking why I sipped scotch, I told her to take a taste, well It was Laphroiag, the smokest , peatest of them all, & she said YUCK it taste like salt water & iodine, & my comment was , SO YOU THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A GOOD TIME OUT HERE DINT YOU ! hahahaha
you can sip scotch anytime, But I keep the bourbon to mix in the egg nog with the rum & the brandy, No reason to waist the great single malt !!
Enjoy, Vince

Bourbon in egg nog? I hope you're using regular Jim Beam. If you're talking about using Pappy's 15 in egg nog, then . . .

:eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :flush: :flush: :flush: :help:

:cop: :cop: :cop:

No I would never Mix Good stuff, , I use Old Grandad in my egg nog or JW DANT , why spend big bucks on some thing you mask with milk,cream,eggs,sugar,nutmeg & vanillia ! Enjoy, Vince