mix filler

Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts | 0+
California
What exactly is a mix filler cigar? Cigar.com sells some house blends that are mix filler. Has anyone had these? Are they good? I am looking for a good everyday smoke that wont break the bank. Any ideas? One that I like that is an "everyday" smoke is 5 Vegas Gold.

mixed filler is both long and short filler. Premium hand rolled cigars are long filler, machine rolled cigars are short filler. mixed filler is a bit of both.

The C.com brands are good and some of em are mixed filler.

another mixed filler that is good is La Vieja Habana from drew estates.

Yup, what kuzi said. From what I've read, the short filler part isn't necessarily shredded tobacco like for a cigarette, it's usually the bits that are left over after the final trimming of the cigar to get it to the proper length. This means it's good tobacco, just not the full leaf. By mixing the short with the long they keep the price down and still make a damn good smoke. I've tried all the House Labels and consider each one to be a pretty good deal.

FWIW - here's how they all scored on my standard rating:

Blue - 84 - hints of spice & molasses but burned way too fast. Would have score a bit higher if not for the burn issues. Thinking of getting a box of these, hoping they're rolled a bit tighter.
Cameroon - 83 - vegetal/peppery, not quite my flavor.
Corojo - 90 - this thing is just great. Rich, complex, w/notes of pepper. Incredible cigar for the money
Cuban - 83 - very spicy the whole way, not my thing but I'm sure there are plenty out there that love it.
Purple - 86 - smooth & creamy with some earthy flavors. Thinking about getting a box of these to go w/my next box of Corojos
Red - 85 - Started creamy & sweet w/a touch of spice but not very complex. Could use a bit more body & flavor IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Cuban and Corojo are my favorites. Only smoked one of the Corojos and I am hooked. For the price it's probably the best cigar I have smoked in a long time. Better than some Corojo's that cost four times as much. Try a sampler if your not sure about what you want to try, that way you get a taste of each one for dirt cheap.

The cigar.com house brands are all decent smokes (haven't tried the Corojo yet, but have heard good things) - I like the Cameroon and the Cuban ones the best.

Thanks for the help guys. I just got myself a sampler today and I am going to try some over the weekend.

A really nice mixed filler cigar is the Tatuaje white label (P series I think). They're also (being mixed filler), inexpensive- $4/stick or so. The flavor is comparable to the Havana VI (or is it IV? I forget... has a red band), they're just a bit more spongy. I haven't tried the Tatuaje Miami (brown ring) yet.

The boys are pretty much spot on with their description of mixed filler; but a good cheap smoke doesn't have to be mixed filler. You can find good ones that are long filler. I am a big fan of the 5 Vegas Line (classic, gold, series A) as well as the flor de oliva line. All good smokes and can be had for under 4 bucks a stick; sometimes less if you know where to look. Even the honduran primeros are a good everyday smoke, and fi you buy a bundle of 50, they are only a buck each. With a year of age on them they are fantastic.

I agree on the 5 Vegas line (haven't tried the limitada or the cask strength yet). The "A" is a great maduro for the money, and the classic & gold are both outstanding as well. They're the best brand name cigar available around the $3 mark IMHO.