New Top 25 Bourbon List. A big and unexpected . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
shakeup in my Top 25 caused by recent tastings of the new Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 year old, a refined 107 proof bourbon, new product, and highly recommended. I believe you should not pay more than $50 as your "walkout price", inclusive of any and all shipping, taxes, etc.

It was touch and go between the Pappy's 15 and Knob Creek as they both battled in my mind for the No. 11 spot. In the end it went to the Pappy's, as Knob Creek is fine stuff, but not nearly as complex, although crisp and clear. The Pappy's is a bit more sweet and rounded, and this made the difference. Poor Eagle Rare 17 gets kicked off the list, right between the uprights. Is Maker's Mark even on the radar anymore?

:dunno:

Top 25 Bourbon List

1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old
2. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old
4. Booker's True Barrel
5. W.L. Weller Wheated 19 year old
6. Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish
7. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old
8. George T. Stagg 2002
9. Baker's
10. George T. Stagg 2003
11. Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15 year old
12. Knob Creek
13. Pure Kentucky
14. Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
15. Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year old
16. Basil Hayden’s
17. Henry McKenna 10 year old 100 proof bonded
18. Jefferson’s Reserve 15 year old
19. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
20. Blanton’s
21. Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23 year old
22. W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7 year old 90 proof
23. Old Commonwealth
24. Elijah Craig 12 year old
25. Eagle Rare 10 year old 101 proof

Stinger Missile, don't look now, but Nos. 4, 9, 12, & 16 are all Jim Beam products. Just a thought. And one of them can be had for $25 or less. :D

Yeah, I like Jim Beam too. The white labeled 7 year old stuff for about $17. :) Pretty smooth compared to Senator's Club :roll: and a couple of others and don't seem to have near the sugar content of Crown Royal. Besides, the Frogs don't own it (while they do own Wild Turkey and Seagrams).

Yes, they do indeed own Wild Turkey, Motel 6, etc., etc., etc., but I'm not boycotting Wild Turkey products as much as I am things like brie. I love brie and not buying brie hurts them a lot more than not buying Wild Turkey or not staying at Motel 6. Those last two things hurt a lot of Americans also, while the local cheese merchant can always stock something else in place of brie, and not really get hurt. Still and all, I did stop buying Wild Turkey products for a long time as well.

I haven't found out yet what brie is. I guess that tells you I don't use the stuff. Unless I know it by other names.

Brie is one of the most wonderful cheeses I could ever imagine in the whole world. Sometimes at work I used to buy a big bag of good pretzels, like Snyder's, and a big wedge of brie, and have it right on the side of the computer. I'd take one of my knives, cut a little brie, put it in my mouth, then a few pretzel nibs, then eat it. Takes that "cheese and crackers" craving and satisfies it in one of the tastiest ways going.

But that was then, and this is now, because France can go f------ . . .

OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN!!!

:eek:mg:

Here's something for France.

:tomcat: :argh: :neer:

Now, knowing that brie is a cheese, and knowing that America produces cheeses too, I wonder if it would be possible to get an American source (manufacture/sale) of brie going. And the Frogs wouldn't profit from it. Or does France hold copyright or something on it? At any rate, why should we buy it from them if we can produce it ourselves?

I agree. We need an American brie. Shame to let a taste like that go to waste. There's gotta be somebody over here that can figure out how to make it just right.

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but the December issue of Men's Journal has a big article on Jack Daniel's. There is a sub-article titled "The Ten Best American Whiskeys". Bloof, I think there is plenty there for you to agree and disagree with.