Olivia Classic

Joined Feb 2006
285 Posts | 0+
Just curious if anyone has smoked the Olivia "Classic"? I noticed it got a high rating in last month's CA. I also noticed how reasonably priced they are. Just wondering what you guys with much more experience than me thought.

Thanks in advance,

Cutter :D

They are ok, but I would much rather smoke a Cameroon label from Cigar.com!

What are you doing up? Where's the fire? Go back to sleep. I'll wake you if the alarm sounds. :sm_angel:

Bloof - you know Capt has a 6th sense that tells him when it's been too long between cigar.com Cameroon mentions - he probably didn't even realize he was posting!

I actually posted that before I left for work this morning. It was 630, my time. Hopefully no fires today, allergies are acting up!!

Cutter, try the Cigar.com labels. they are inexpensive but quality cigars.

I think one could say:

"You will never go wrong with Cigar.com"*

*Copyright CG Associates 2006

Great cigar. I enjoy the O Classic for the price. I never pay any attention to the CA ratings though.

The Ole is a good cigar. I purchased a box of the Omni, which I like better. It has a good burn and a smooth taste. I would recommend trying a few of these and see if you like it.

chrisguinther said:
The Ole is a good cigar. I purchased a box of the Omni, which I like better. It has a good burn and a smooth taste. I would recommend trying a few of these and see if you like it.
I agree with Chris. They are a great value.

Alex Svenson said:
Great cigar. I enjoy the O Classic for the price. I never pay any attention to the CA ratings though.

So Alex, what is a good review source for a noob cigar smoker like myself? I have come to depend on Tim and your staff, but what other sources are there?

Cutter

cutter said:
So Alex, what is a good review source for a noob cigar smoker like myself? I have come to depend on Tim and your staff, but what other sources are there?
I like to use forums like this one to ask questions and opinions from folks you can trust. The fellas here have tons of great advice. Ask away and I'm sure you'll find an answer you'll like.

OLIVA O Classic

The Oliva O Classic was ranked 9th in the Top 25 of 2005 in the current issue of cA. I agree with Alex when it comes to ratings, but since I'm selling this cigar now.....

...I'd like to point out that many of the other cigars in the top 25 are expensive, Cuban, or very hard to find. And some are many of the above (like the #1 OpusX Double Corona).

At $4 something a stick (depending on local taxes), it's worth finding out for yourself if the Oliva O Classic Ole is worth its 92 rating.

cutter said:
Alex Svenson said:

Cutter

I am like Alex and don't pay attention to CA reviews. For my reviews I look here on the forum or check my issues of Cigar Magazine. They don't always review everything but I find their reviews to be fair and on the spot. The best way I found was to try them yourself.

Honestly,

I dont trust any publication except for the ratings that Thor is doing in our NL and for the website under CC rating. He is working on a new ratings site.

The key is actually looking for the Gems. When I see a cigar get 91+ by anyone I am very quick to go buy it because while I might not find it to even be 90, it will probably be a great smoke. But that is a great point that I am touching on. Ratings are pretty much useless at the end of the day. I say this for two reasons.

1. The rating scale takes a lot of things into account, including burn and appearance. These two factors can create a wide range even from the same box. I have smoked 2 cigars from the same box, given one an 85 and one a 92. Basically the burn offset the flavor and it one of the cigars lost points becuase of the appearance of the wrapper and some construction issues. This happens a lot. The result is that people will see something highly rated and run out to buy it only to find the rating is a fluke, or a potentially great cigar gets dogged in the ratings (Matasa 30th Anni for instance) and no one tries it because they write it off.

2. Cigar smoking is too much of a personal experience to rely on the opinions of fellow smokers. I personally base my rating system on what I know to like in the flavor department and dont give much credit to appearance and construction. For me cigars are all about flavor. That said, if a cigar does not burn well or looks like crap, I simply just dont smoke it.

The best place to get started in finding what you like is to read the reviews. Dont pay attention to score, but learn about the flavor characteristics of a cigar. Read about what aromas are inside, what the body is like, and what type of wrapper it has. Soon you will identify which types of aromas you like, how strong you like your cigars, and even what wrappers you like and from what seeds. Then you can follow the cigars in this catagory and learn about what is coming out that you would like, what is already available, who the boutique makers are and the mass market guys, etc.

Another great way to proceed is to interact with other cigar guys in shops or on these forums and target a few people that have similar palates. I would then pay attention to what they like.