Peter Jake's Private Keep 10 Year Old Bourbon. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
The 75th bourbon that I've tried in my career. Over the past month or so I've gone through nearly the entire bottle. A friend will get the rest. It's doubtful that any time I decide to try a 10 year old, 90 proof bourbon, that I'm going to have as pleasant an experience as I did with the Sam Houston, which actually made my Top 25.

The walk-out price for me on this one was $34.66 at Astor Wines, since they have had it on sale ($31.98+tax) for a while, which is why I finally bought it. Binny's has a price which would also bring it to me at just under $35 with shipping. The Sam Houston cost me under $25, although there's only one place in the world to get that price (Binny's), and who knows for how long.

But at least the Sam Houston made my Top 25. When I try something for the first time, after nearly seven years of drinking bourbon, and 75 in total tried, I'm looking for different and at least somewhat exciting. That point is driven home even more clearly when my walk-out price hits the $30+ mark.

Although I can say some pretty nice things about Peter Jake's Private Keep, ultimately what I have to say is that 10 year old, 90 proof bourbon should not be costing a walk-out price of $35, let alone what most people have to pay, which is noticeably higher. Peter Jake's is one such bourbon. It's good, has a decent flavor profile, but alas, rather inconsistent, and a bit light-bodied.

The bottom line is, and of course my opinion should mean something ONLY to me, and be a mere suggestion to the rest of you, Peter Jake's is cute but unimpressive, and way overpriced. I think we're paying for the name here.

How is that, you say? If it were a Jim Beam Distillery product, then we're paying for the name, right Bloof? Well, yes and no. For sure, Jim Beam is a big corporate entity, owned by a giant corporate entity, engages a heavy advertising budget, and has a stable full of fairly young bourbons, two of which cost at least as much as the subject bourbon, if not more, and one which generally goes for about as much.

But the Small Batch Bourbon Collection is composed of three which are in the triple digit proof range, so you're getting more bang for your buck right there, and ALL of the products have their extreme uniqueness and telltale flavor profile, which are crisp and clearly defined in those offerings, again, in my opinion only.

So, my point about paying for the name in this instance is that there are bourbons out there with alluring names, built on a "folklore" image, and in some cases costing way too much for the age, proof and overall flavor and impressiveness that are usually in the bottle. That's why God made Bloof, so a guy with no money to begin with, can go out there and try them for you, so you'll know what not to waste your own money on, and your life will be okay. :cryinlaugh:

Although Peter Jake's Private Keep can render some wonderful sips, with luscious flavors and occasionally a deep body, it comes and goes, and there is no clear definition to the flavors, so it's all rather muddled in the end. Nice try, but my focus is getting narrower.

The theme of this season will be winners only, Top 25 items, new releases from the Antique Collection, or new releases of highly touted, high priced items such as from the Vintage label. Long shots on items costing me between $25-$40 which I've never tried before? Probably not any more, because I feel that over the years, I've explored that realm thoroughly. Up until last year, I had not sufficiently explored the realm of the El Cheapo, but now I've been there, and done that too.

So, as I hurtle rapidly toward The Age Of The Living Dead (I'm 49.84 as of today), I will be drifting into my comfort zone of established and likeable items, as well as high (but not ultra-high) priced collections which are known for annual new releases, or new products.