pinch test

Joined Feb 2005
49 Posts | 0+
when giving cigars the "pinch test" at a local shop, should i hear a very faint crisp to them? the wrapper does not break and the cigar compresses a bit, but should i hear a slight crisp?

In all I've heard regarding this method it should compress a little but not feel spongy. It should spring back into shape but not split. I personally don't use this method because in actuality the rest period your're supposed to use should take care of any abnormalities present. Also the shops intentionally set their humidifiers high.

Do they smoke okay? That's all that matters.

Depends how you like them I guess. I prefer to pick mine up closer to 72% and then integrate them into my humidor to slowly bring them down to about 68%. IMHO

What is more important is that you pinch the entire shaft of the cigar up and down looking for knots. If it becomes more furm under the band, a less experienced roller rolled the cigar. It should be a consistent firmness from top to bottom with no knots. A great example of a perfect roll is in any of the Cusano Premiums. I have yet to have a poorly rolled cigar from them.

If there is knot under the band, the roller is using his fingers more rather than his whole hand when the put on the binder.

PLEASE DONT PINCH THE CHARMIN, if you must please pince the foot, Not at the band, some times when UPS delevers cigars to the shop in the winter the are ICE COLD when set in the humidor to warm up, if you pinch them at the center or at the band you can crack the wrapper & make the cigar unsmokable, so pinch the foot, if it cracks the cigar can sill be smoked when it come to temp, I
can' t tell you how Pissed off that makes me, when Some SOB hits the Humidor & will pinch every cigar in a single box looking for the center cut of the smokes , they make a mess of the humidor & distroy a bunch of cigars in the process . give it a gentel squeeze on the foot ( the end you light ) & remember thayt are delacite little flowers not Iron bars ! Enjoy, Vince

I hear what your saying, but my cigars do not crack when I squeeze them.
I am gentlely squeeeeeeezing but still they make a crinkle sound but do not crack.
I agree that if left in the cold that will fracture the wrapper.
A few days/week in the humidor & thta will not happen.

Interesting - I let everything I buy rest for a week or more before smoking & never gave much thought to things just put out right after being shipped.