Question about authenticity of Cohiba Aniversario Linea 1492

Joined Nov 2005
3K Posts | 0+
The Matrix?
My co-worker gave me a Cohiba Aniversario Linea 1492, 7 x 50 churchill shape, ISOM. How do I know it's real or not? I've googled "Cohiba" along with variations to include Aniversario, Linea, 1492, but can't seem to find the band that I have. I've come up with the Linea 1492 Humidor series, but those bands doesn't look the same. I've also looked at Cigar Afficionado's site in their fake/not fake section, but they don't include the Linea 1492.

Here's a desciption of what the band looks like:
The band has the white checkerboard design on black background on the upper half (7 rows of checkerboard squares from top to midline, tapering to 2 rows at the middle where the gold circle is), midline is gold line, bottom half is orange. In the center of the band is a gold circle encompassing a white background. Top center in the gold circle is an "X" where the / part is a white checkerboard on black, and the \ is an orange streak, and in the middle of the X is what looks like q-bah. Under the X is "Cohiba" in gold, and under that is "Aniversario" in black script print, and under that is "Linea 1492" in gold.

I have a photo of the band from my stick, and will post it when I get home later today.

So, having said that, is this real or not?

note: Please do not ask me where/how to obtain this cigar, as it is a clear violation of the forum policy. And please keep posts limited to the scope of this topic. I have asked the Mods before posting my question, and would like to keep everything and everyone inline and within the boundries.

I would pose the question to the guys over at Cwise. You will probably at least have one of the guys over there that would be able spot the real thing for sure.

If you do don't say ISOM as they will bust your balls. Call it what it is a Cuban.

Cheers
Martin

What does it say in the the orange? Does any of it look dull or not printed cleanly? Does it look embossed or flat? Of course it could still have a flawless band and still be fake. But anything above would help establish authenticity.

Agreed... Cwise is best.

Here are only a few ways to tell, and to the untrained eye, even these are not easy.

Band usually a quick win, but as mentioned, even a good knock off can have a good label.

Color and texture of the wrapper as well as the smell of the tobacco is different.

The triple caps, all have triple caps.

I know there is more, but I didn't claim to be the official! :wink:

I have Sublimes, Reservas, and EL Pirymids....the band looks good. It's hard to tell from a pic. Most of the fakes I've come across lack the texture. The real real is stamped kinda like a coin and will have the checker pattern and the text raised.

The other way you can tell is to send it my way....I'll smoke it and let you know if it was any good :angel:

Doc,

I would be skeptical. Those cigars are close to impossible to find these days and most are housed by private collectors now. (that is the first red flag)

Second Red Flag: The top of the band looks very roughly cut. With Cohibas (especially the 1492 or any other ltd edition) everything is extremely precise.

Third Red Flag: It is difficult to tell from the photos, but that cigar should have three caps and it appears to only have 2. You should be able to get a better look at them then I can so I might be wrong.

I agree with what most of you said.

Also, I'm reluctant to post at cwise, as I don't like to track many forums (c.com amback isn't the only forum I frequent).

Doc,
Send it to me, I'll smoke it and I'll let you know. I'd feel terrible if you smoked it and it was a fake. I'll take one for the team. :sm_angel:

Doc,
A few things that I (unfortunately) don't like about that stick. As Alex mentioned, the top cut on the band looks like it is rough, and/or missing color, and I especially question the overwrap of the band on the backside of the cigar. If the ends don't meet up square and flush, as it appears in the pic, I'm going to say no-fly. As I'm sure you've seen some in the past, the bands are near-currency quality, and the counterfeiters almost never go the extra mile to match them 100%.
Will we, the dedicated, sophisticated smokers catch them, yes. Will unwashed legion of heathen, part-time, civilian smokers catch them, probably not..... :cry:

But, It almost looks like an El Rey to me, so if it was a freebie, LIGHT IT UP!

8)

A good friend of mine brought some "Cohibas" back from Costa Rica for me....I do not think they were genuine, but I smoked one of them and I thought it was pretty darn good. So...what have you got to lose. Enjoy it in good health.