Questions regarding hygrometer

Joined Jun 2007
1 Posts | 0+
Since I'm a neophyte when it comes to all things cigars, I thought it prudent to ask here. A friend of mine runs a small-town pet store. In his most recent shipment of goodies, he got a box of these by mistake. Just wondering what you all think of something like this being used in a 100-stick humidor. He tossed me one (since the distributor denied ever sending them to him) and put the rest up on the rack.

Here's my "thinking" on it. It has separate sensors for temp and humidity on long cables, so I wouldn't have to be opening and closing the lid to get a reading. The only stopping block I can think of is that they aren't ribbon cables, so I'd have to get out the round file and make 2 very small grooves in the humidor to compensate. Would double-sided sticky tape be appropriate to affix them internally, or should I just let them dangle?

Also, if I do make grooves to accommodate a good closure on the lid, would I have to seal the grooves with any type of putty or somesuch? I figure if I make the grooves in the back portion of the lid (where the hinges are), it would be better for a tighter seal. I don't want to use any material to seal it that might mess up the smokes in any way, so I figured this was the place to ask.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Personally I wouldn't do anything to my humidor that might cause it to not seal properly. I suppose you could take a chance, but why? Lifting the lid once daily is not going have an adverse affect on your humidity. It would seem to me that your idea would work, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

i lift the lid on the humi once a day to grab a cigar. my humidity is good. if i was so worried about keeping RH that i didnt want to open the humi then i would feel even worse about putting groves in it.

if you dont wanna open the lid get the remote hygrometer. no wires. good stuff.

I use the o regon scientific weather station with 3 remotes. 2 of which are in my Humidors. I always know my humidity/temps without ever opening.

IMHO that seems like a huge thing to put in a 100ct humi, and I would not put grooves in the lid. I found my 3 hygros in the pet store(Flukers Brand) and they are very accurate and small. they also have a thermometer.