Smoke 'in Turkey

Joined Feb 2006
37 Posts | 0+
We are still in Turkey. Two nights ago I had the opportunity to go out with three of my fellow senior chiefs and do some shopping, dining and then to a bar for a few drinks. Well, in typical U.S. Navy Chief fashion, we ended up having more fun than four 40 plus men should EVER have. We still haven't been able to figure out how we got back to the ship, but we all made it safely.

Anyway, one of my shipmates brought along a five pack of Cuban Montecristos # 3s he had purchased in Dubai. Good thing about Turkey, you can smoke anywhere.

And we did.

Probably the best cigar I have ever had. Smooth, tasty, great burn, just great all around. But being able to sit in a bar, drink a few brews with your buds and share a good smoke...ladies and gentlemen, it just doesn't get ANY better than that.

I for one, am WAY glad you made it back to the ship, and thank you for your service. I see you mentioned Dubai. Oh boy, but isn't Dubai a dirty word now over here, with the latest "scandal" going on? Then again, I'm not so sure that a company based in Dubai SHOULD be in charge of U.S. port security.

Regardless of all that rot, you are certainly right, that good friends and good times make for very happy memories. Be safe, keep your head down, and hopefully the next time you have a good time like that, "navigating" BACK to the ship won't be so hard. And hopefully, when it's time to navigate the ship, it too will find it's way back safely. :mrgreen: :sm_angel: :thumbsup:

Good friends, good drinks, always makes a good smoke really GOOD.

Keep safe in Turkey!

And Thanks for the Updates!!!

It has been great reading about where you have been.

:thumbsup:

It is GREAT reading bout your adventures. You just stay safe though, we want to continue reading all you have to offer.

By the way was there any grease on that turkey?

Thanks for the kind words. I wish I had found this site and cigars at the beginning of the cruise. Oh the stories I could have told. Anyway, we have some more travels ahead of us before we return home, so I'll keep you posted if anything good happens.

I am just really looking forward to getting home, sitting down to a nice cigar and the family. Also a trip to JR is in the works as I have to go visit the folks. JR's is on the way.

Ooops. Forgot where I was. I'm going to get some pipe tobacco there for my new Meershcaum pipe I bought in Turkey. And singles, just singles from JR. Then I'll come back here and order in quantity the ones I like.

Enjoy going out and smoking cigars while you can. It seems every week there is another place in Norfolk with a "NO Cigar smoking" sign. Oh, I almost forgot that goes for pipes too.

Big Tom,
I'm assuming you're from there?
They might not let me smoke in public, but that's what I have a study and a backyard for.
They can't take that away from me

I'm stationed in norfolk too. Live in hampton though. Are there any good shops in the area?

Angryman said:
I'm stationed in norfolk too. Live in hampton though. Are there any good shops in the area?

Norfolk, huh? I was in Ft, Eustis back in '92... I loved that area! (Not so much the base...LOL)

Angryman,
Most everyone I speak to from Norfolk says Emerson's is the place to go. I know they have a shop near Greenbriar Mall on the southside. Not familiar as much with the Peninsula. However, I did a quick google search and found a few up your way to include Pete's Cigars in Hampton, and Dona Juana's cigars also in Hampton.

By the way, we are now at anchor in Corfu. Yesterday we received over 60 pallets of mail. My long lost shipment of cigars arrived. As I said in a previous post, the are from the dreaded "T" word. I ordered them before I found this board.

However, they are a Dominican corona named Chavon which I found out later is actually a Thompson brand. Supposed to be a mild-medium with a nice maduro wrapper. They arrived in perfect condition except for one which had a little wrapper damage. They smell fantastic. If they smoke as good as they look and smell, they should be all right.

Steppinup - you might be one of the few to order from T and not regret it.

Kinda hard to call and mail you to death when you're in Turkey.

Heh heh heh, you showed them!

Thanks for the info... now any ideas that I can tell my ol lady so I can get out and check these places out? :evil: