The Cuban embargo is no more!!!

Joined Mar 2006
845 Posts | 0+
Michigan
Well not really but say it was, what would happen to the cigar industry? Would five million new cigar smokers appear out of nowhere just because Cubans were now a legal option? Would the Dominican, Nicaraguan and Honduran companies collapse? Would the Cuban companies be able to keep up with demand?

Questions, questions, questions...

Any thoughts?

the demand would skyrocket & the quality would go in the $hitter. let it just the way it is the quality will be just fine .
Enjoy, Vince

the cubans would release small batches at a time because status seeking americans would pay large prices to be the first on the block to have true cuban cigars

When Castro's health is ailing I wish you wouldn't do that. :lol: Not because I'd be overjoyed, but because I like many others would be dissapointed.

You have to remember that in 99.9 percent of countries, cubans are perfectly legal. As such, I don't know about the number of smokers growing but demand would nevertheless skyrocket like Vince said and Quality would go down as a result also like Vince said. They would certainly not be able to keep up with demand and many small poor quality merchants would probably also pop up to supply the new market. This means probably a lot of fakes as well. Prices would probably also go up. The NC's would I'm sure survive and many would probably use cuban tobacco which might be very interesting.

There's a lot of unknowns and but it doesn't matter anyway. Unless there's a complete overthrow of the government, someone in castro's party will take over and it won't matter.

Leave things the way they are and cigar smokers will still get cubans. An embargo lift can only be bad for the cuban cigar industry.

If the embargo was lifted that means that Castro (and communism) is done. The Cuban economy would start to get better. Every thing that Castro F***ed up would star to get better. (Such as the sugar industry, the tourism industry, the cigar industry.) People will stop trying to leave Cuba because it sucks.

The Cigar industry would take some time to get better.
There would be an initial push for Cuban cigars forcing the price up, but after a short while people would realize that they are not anything special because all the greats moved out due to Castro and his oppressive ways. In time, Cuban Cigars will recover. New masters will emerge. The price will come down some because they are not "forbidden fruit" they will be a standard.

There are a lot of people out there that have had Cuban cigars while in other countries. Most say that the $15-$20 US that you have to pay for them is not worth it. Think of it this way. Not all wines from France are great. Why would I want to pay a premium on a wine that isn’t great just because it’s from France? Making the cigar, and grow the tobacco in Cuba won’t make it a good cigar. Most amateur cigar smokers think that if it’s from Cuba its better. The amateurs will rush for them.

Post embargo, it will all eventually even out and Cuba will be just another country that produces cigars, some good, some not so good.

just my opinion...

I have spent a ton of time thinking about this over the years and have picked a lot of brains inside the industry. Yes demand would sky rocket and we would see another boom. Old Cuban families would flock back to try to reclaim their land. The 15.00 you pay today for a cuban puro would become 50.00 People would no longer be able to afford a cuban puro. You will see the cuban wrappers and fillers mix with tobacco from other countries much like non cuban cigars are made today with wide varieties of tobacco.

It is funny that this came up becuase I smoked a cigar the other day that is exacltly what I am referring to. It was a Dominican filler and binder with a Cuban wrapper. I must say that it was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked and better than most any Cuban Puro I have had. Industry analysts have predicted that the price of Cuban cigars worldwide would actually triple.

Anyway, this is just what my research has turned up over time. Bottom line it would be a good thing for the cigar industry.

I've read they can't up production either because Castro had many fields changed to sugarcane fields, which devours all nutrients in the soil making it useless for any agriculture besides sugar cane.

I'll agree that the mixes would be great for the cigar industry overall, but the cuban industry has got to just go down the tubes, at least for a little while while the families get situated and used to the changes.

My feeling is that if Castro, and his brother, want to keel over dead and leave the country to shift to a democratic goverment....GREAT

Just give me enough time to buy 10 or 15 boxes of Cubans before hand :lol:

In the long run though i bet cuba would up production. they wont be the same as pre-embargo, but at least they would be in the game again.