What are your thoughts on Lighters?

As far as Xikars go, I have an Element and an Enigma. Both are great lighters. I also have a Lotus that was gifted to me. The Lotus is by far my favorite lighter and would highly recommend it.

DL

I use prometheus lighters and only have had problems when it is very cold out(but most butane lighters have this problem) or I drop it in the hot tub. The 2 that i have hold a good amount of butane which I hear some lighters don't.

b540glenn said:
After trying a few lighters, I've settled on this:

It's wind proof and hasn't failed to light yet.

The best part of that torch is that when you are finished lighting cigars and soldering pipe, you can make Creme Brulet with it!! Good purchase there brother!!

b540glenn said:
After trying a few lighters, I've settled on this:

It's wind proof and hasn't failed to light yet.

I agree. I had mine 2 years before it quit on my (sprung a leak)
I picked it up at home depot or lowes for 20 bucks
and I used it for more than just lighting cigars.

But its not very practical to bring with you. For travel I just have cheap 10 dollar one.
IMHO they expensive ones break or get lost then you are out 60 to 100 bucks. If you lose a 10 dollar lighter oh well

Okay,

so far my Xikar and colibri are tied for performance.

I'm surprised how well the ronson is doing. It was 3.95 at wally world.

cusccrstud21 said:
glenn, can you PM me or post where you got that torch at?
I pick it up at my local ACO Hardware store for about $25 + butane.

I do like the fact that it's a multi-tasker, though I haven't used it in the kitchen yet.

Most of my cigars are smoked close to home, so I'm not worried about the portability.

I just picked up the z plus insert yesterday. now all I have to do is find one of my old zippos to put it in. Iknow y ou should use a good butane but how picky is it for fuel quality ?

bought it yesterday and reading the brief safety instructions on package and it says be sure to read all the instructions inside--open the package up and there are no instructions so I guess it is truly fool proof, I'll find out

The Z plus insert is really easy - just pull the guts out of the old zippo and slide that baby in. Used it yesterday - I can't remember the last time I filled it up - the reservoir seems to really hold a lot of fuel.

I use Vector butane - my local place carries it - it's "quintuplus filtered - 5 times". Is it better? I am not sure, but my lighters do seem to run pretty well with it.

Good luck!

i got the z plus.
i think im the only person on this board that doesnt like it.
I use colibri fule. been using it in my xikar for well over a year. no problems.
in my z plus i started having miss fires within a month. after 3 months i couldnt get it to light. I dont think its the fuel, if it was my xikar would be "broken" also.

iduno. ill get some canned air and blow it out one of these days, maybe try vector fuel but i have 2 cans of colibri and a xikar lighter that im happy with. why fix something if i have one that isnt broken ?

You need to conform, Matt. Hehe.

It's funny but you bring up a good point - that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I remember when I first came on the board, everyone hated colibri lighters. The one that I had was great (lost it on the golf course - that's why I only bring cheap lighters now) - and all that I read was that they were crap. I like the Xikars - but the last one I got has trouble refilling. The nice thing about Xikar is that once it is empty I can send it back for repair or replacement.

I love my colibri! :shocked:

I have had it for over two years, wife got it for me for christmas. I use the colibri fuel and I have never had a problem. Every manufacture has problems from time to time. Sometimes it a fluke others it is a design flaw. Stick with what works, yeah I have to agree.

I have a Colibri that my wife gave me for my birthday 12 years ago. It is in for a rebuild now. I was told that if I used Colibri fuel, I probably wouldn't need to have it rebuilt. Colibri fuel, I'm told by my tobacconist, has an oil(s) in it that lubricate the seals in the lighter.
Dunno for sure, don't care. I have carried my Colibri for so long that none of the original finish is on it. It has worn to a rather "macho" brass and chrome finsih.

This is my second Colibri to give me stellar service. The first one went for 6 years steady before a Boy Scout lost it in a beaver pond. Ever had a Boy Scout make fire every time you wanted to light your pipe? The Scout and I had a good time with that, that weekend.
Later, he wanted to replace the lighter. I told him that I rather liked having a Boy Scout for my personal torch bearer.

Dan in Dayton

Okay, Now I have a colibri, a x'ikar, 2 Nibos, and a ronson. So far the most reliable are the colibri and the x'ikar. I switched from the colibri butane to vector. The colibri hasn't failed me yet. The x'ikar got an air pocket which was fixed when I bled it and refilled it. And the experiment continues. I will stop posting until one dies. The ronson only cost 3.95 at Walmart. It works but it shuts off once in awhile while you are lighting a cigar. So you have to click it again to continue.

I think the Vector fuel has made a difference - maybe it's just in my mind. I got the Walmart Ronson lighter to work twice and then it went kaput.

Time for me to pick up another Zippo insert for golf season.

I have posted this in another thread, but someone new may find it easier here.

The Ronson Butane $2.99 Walmart lighter is excellent! I have used this lighter on the last 5 cigars that I have smoked with zero problems!. And no refills yet!

That is a hard deal to beat.

DL

All torch lighters are junk as far as I can tell, so I use a Zippo body with a Z-Plus insert. No need to spend big money on a piece of die-cast crap when I can use a classic design lighter with a cheap torch insert. I have three Zippo shells so I got three inserts. One has become unreliable and probably needs to be blown out, but the other two have been running for over a year. There is a very wide range of adjustment on flame height and they don't seem to be particular about butane. I believe every cigar smoker needs a torch lighter for that once-in-a-while tough re-light or burn correction. Plus, they look cool at night. Especially coming out of a classic Zippo. Did I mention the Zippo 'clank'? Got to have it!