What are your thoughts on Lighters?

Inland44 said:
All torch lighters are junk as far as I can tell, so I use a Zippo body with a Z-Plus insert. No need to spend big money on a piece of die-cast crap when I can use a classic design lighter with a cheap torch insert. I have three Zippo shells so I got three inserts. One has become unreliable and probably needs to be blown out, but the other two have been running for over a year. There is a very wide range of adjustment on flame height and they don't seem to be particular about butane. I believe every cigar smoker needs a torch lighter for that once-in-a-while tough re-light or burn correction. Plus, they look cool at night. Especially coming out of a classic Zippo. Did I mention the Zippo 'clank'? Got to have it!

I'm a firm believer in the saying "You get what you pay for". I'd much rather shell out the 50-80 dollars on a lighter that has a FULL NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRENTY, than spend a lifetime buying 10 dollar lighters. Granted, in an earlier post, I mentioned the Ronson $2.99 Walmart special. In fact, I bought two more tonight and paid $2.49 each. If I lose one or drop and break it, I don't care. But IMHO, why wouldn't you pay 50 bux for a lighter that you would likely pass down to a younger generation? The Ronsons are for stratigically placing. I put one in my wifes car, one in her purse, one in my truck, one in my desk..........you see where I'm going with this.

Maybe its because I'll be making boots that sell for $1,000 base price that I believe in QUALITY.

(plus I hate the thought of pulling lighter fluid thru a $20 habano.)

DL

I agree Dustin. My wife spent a nice amount of money on my lighter and in two years it has never failed to light and never needed any maintenance. I run good butane through it and it works wonderfully, I just don't tkae it any place I am afraid of losing it. I have some cheapies I got as part of samplers and such. But I guess the best thing to do is what makes you happy since the point of this is to relax and enjoy yourself. :thumbsup:

I just use flint and a rock! Thats how we roll in the South!

Actually, for once, I agree with DL :?
I am not about to got drop 100 bucks for a lighter, but I picked up a Xicar for my birthday last year. I use good butane, and it has been rocking along for almost a year. It burns through fluid quickly, but that is an easy fix. And if it breaks, i send it back and get a new one. No questions asked.