Where is everybody?

Joined Sep 2005
847 Posts | 0+
Newport, RI
Alright fellas,

I've noticed lately that there's not nearly as much posting as there has been in the past.

I'm sure a lot of people read the boards and don't post for whatever reason. If you smoke something and like it (or don't) please post. Even if you think you can't review a cigar very well, please post your thoughts. I love hearing about a cigar. Even if I don't get that much info, it's great to hear what others are smoking. I couldn't tell you how many cigars I've tried because I've heard it mentioned on the board. I can't review a cigar for squat either so please don't let that stop you. I couldn't tell you if a cigar tasted of a hint of orange peels if someone put a gun to my head.

If you're new to the boards, it'd be great if you posted an intro in the "New? Introduce Yourself" Stickie on the bottom of the page. We'd love to hear about a new BOTL or SOTL that's just started visiting here.

If there's a cigar you want to try, please post it on the Trades thread. There's plenty of extremely generous BOTLs and SOTLs that will be happy to introduce you to that special cigar that you'd love to try. You might even find that there's one or two cigars that tag along.

If you've been on the board for a while and haven't posted lately, please do so. I know of a LOT of people that used to post a lot and haven't done so lately. You guys are such a precious resource of cigar knowledge for us noobs that have not been smoking that long. I'd love to hear more.

If you're hesitant to get involved in the PIFs, jump in! I've tried so many great cigars just because I got them in a PIF. Even if you don't think you smoke quality sticks and it wouldn't be a welcome addition to someone's humidor, please don't let that stop you. Just going to the mailbox and seeing a package sitting there...it's almost like a birthday present. And being able to introduce someone to a cigar that they may not ordinarily buy for themselves is gift enough in itself.

If something's just on your mind, post it in the Non Cigar Related section. There may be people who agree with you and some who disagree. What's important is that we're talking.

If you drink with your cigars, even better. Post about your libations here, too. A great deal of the fun about smoking is pairing it with a great drink. I've learned so much about scotch, bourbon, beer, etc. that it does nothing but enhance the experience.

I was so new to cigars when I first started posting, it wasn't even funny. I've learned so much about cigars, booze, and most importantly, the people here, that my time here has been one of the best things I've done. In summary...if you're new, please post. If you're not, PLEASE post. If we don't post here, the board will die. And with it, such an important wealth of knowledge. If you've gotten to the end of my alcohol-induced diatribe, thank you for your time. :D

I agree with you Aubrey and I'm going to hijack your thread to rant a little bit. There was a guy that posted in the Cigar101 thread about humidity and before I replied I noticed 55 views. Thats 55 views and 0 replies. Freaking lame. :evil:

I have learned a ton of great information from here, would not have bothered if nobody would have replied to my topics. I'm sure I am not the only person either. Gentlemen, we won't keep the newbies if we dont actually talk to them.

End of rant.

Speaking from the perspective of a fairly new person her. I have realy enjoyed all the info, freindlyness(sp), and banter on these forums. It is a shame to see such a huge drop off over the last couple of weeks. Thanks for the great rant!!!!!

This stuff can go in cycles. I honestly wouldn't worry about a couple of slow weeks. People are moving, we had Passover and Easter in the same week, lots of stuff going on, people getting their kids ready for college, other people worried about looking good at the beach this summer. It'll all come back.

No beer bongs full of natty light and chasing sorority chicks huh? :wink:

while walking through a humidor in my local shop, a man comes up to me and asks what i would reccomend.
so i go through the humidor and pick out a few of my my favorites and tell why i like them and what makes them good. If i know any strange facts about the cigar i tell him.

"how do you know so much about cigars? ... do you work here?"

this situation happens to me almost every time i go into the shop.

I always tell them about the Forum here. I try to bring in people who arent afraid to talk. Im not sure if anone has joined or at least started reading but thats my little effort to ge more people in here.

I think this is just a bad timing situation. Tax season, spring vacations, etc. have meant less posting.

Following a couple of major bouts with nasty colds, tax season, business travel and the usual charity work it is now time for focused smoking. I plan on being on the golf course shortly attempting a cigar for the first time in quite awhile.

Boards have ALWAYS run in cycles. I have been involved in online forums/discussion boards since Prodigy went national in early 1985 (I was [email protected] , then moved to [email protected] and then .net when it moved to that... and I still maintain that same addy to this day!).

Certain times of the year it seems participation slows to a near standstill, but then picks back up back to normal levels.

i know i have also been rather MIA as of late...house hunting for the past months has been a real pain in the ass, especially since we are relocating back home to where im from in CT, combined with being uber-busy at work and trying to recruit my replacement, and wife is graduating from grad school, yadda yadda...i still get to peruse the board once or twice a day, but i plan to be able to post more once some stability returns to my life...i have however been buying A LOT of cigars lately, lol

I am guilty of being MIA from the board and chat. Hopefully work will begin to slow down soon enough. It's time to get outside and start smoking!

THERE'S TT ... KEEP YOUR BACK TO THE WALL!!! :shocked:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :flush:

I too have also been MIA for awhile with the kids sports, work, vacations, and the such. I have even been smoking lately due to time constraints. Hopefully I will be able to spend more time here as things start to smooth out.

Rick

It is good to see all the replies to this post, it reminds us that everyone still cares, but that life does sometimes consume us.

As the weather gets warmer, we all have more time for cigars, and that will bring us all together once again.

Keep it up brothers, and remember we will always have the porch light on for all of you!

Work and family obligations have kept me from hitting the boards as much as I'd like, but I'm gonna make the effort to show up more often.

Great post Aubrey!

check this out, I've found these new things, they open up and have all kinda words in there. Some are very interesting. Weird, I have never seen such things! :D

The weather has finally turned here in jersey and this past weekend was just to nice to ignore. Had to step out, beautiful. My son got his license on mon. So we had been busy with that. ETC. you know how life gets. Never enough time to smoke, never enough cigars to smoke :shock:

I was gone for a while, but am back now. I check it once a day, but don't see much, so I never post. . .

What happened to the PIF? When I saw that gone, I thought this place died. . .

John