Why do my Partagas' do this?....

Joined Apr 2004
289 Posts | 0+
NJ
Why do the wrappers on all of my Partaga Black Labels, when smoked, always sorta "bubble up" the entire way around the cigar? This only leads to the wrapper not burning and then the cigar needs help for it to stay lit in this particular spot. I always get one part of the cigar burning Ok just to have the other part of it either go out or the cigar burns under the wrapper to the point where it eventually goes out as well. I've tried rotating the cigar, and it works but as soon as I draw the cigar it bubbles up again. I'm stumped, and I really like these cigars. They're some of the smoothest maduro cigars that I've ever tried and I want to continue to enjoy them. Thanks guys, Simp

Since it is a consistent problem and based on what I am hearing, my first inclination is storage. Is the humidity and temerature right? Have there been any extremes in your humidor recently? This is the only thing I can think of. If everything is on the up and up with your humidor then I am stumped. That cigar has a pretty tough wrapper and lots of flavor. I have had burn problems with that cigar in the pas tbecause of that.

Temp and RH hasn't been a problem since I've been using the Climmax beads (about 2 months). My other cigars burn as expected. Maybe it's something like the oils in the cigar. I'm stumped as well/usual. Simp

simp my humi is at 67% but with our recent weather (94% RH) i have had a couple cigars that don't want to burn right. this may be the problem.

this seems like an decent place to ask this...

if a cigar starts to run, and rotation etc. is not doing the job, would you say lighting the unburnt portion is called for?
is that frowned upon?
it seems to work pretty well, but i always fear looking like an ass in public

Yes, light the unburnt end, sure, it beats tossing the cigar if it's otherwise burning properly and tastes good.

sometimes even when a cigar gets a little uneven or just begins to run I will do some preemptive burning to try to get it to burn perfectly. Best tool for the job though is a torch lighter but it takes practice. I toasted to many of my cigars when trying to master this and still have a long way to go.