I did something stupid...

Joined Apr 2007
17 Posts | 0+
West Hills, CA
I left a cigar in my car over the weekend...I KNOW! How dumb is that. So my question is, is the smoke dead or can I somehow revive it or is it fine or what?

itszackwithak said:
I left a cigar in my car over the weekend...I KNOW! How dumb is that. So my question is, is the smoke dead or can I somehow revive it or is it fine or what?

I would throw it in the humi and see. There is a thread here somewhere about this but I was unable to find it. I am sure someone else will though.

Don't throw it in the Humi,,,,,,,

It is important to bring it back up to the proper rh as slow as possible.

I would put it in a plastic bag an slowly add water to a credo or water pilow.

it is not going to be as good as it could of been but why waste it

i dont need to find the thread.

ill tell you how to salvage it.

it wont be the same but its better than nothing... right?

the goal is to bring it up to the right RH slowly.

if you know the RH of the air right now you will have a guess at your starting point. just say you have 45% rh in the air right now. bring it up to 55% for a few days. then 60% for a week or so then 65%, then (if you keep em there) 70%

why so slowly?
if you take a dry cigar and place it in a humi at 70% then it will soak up the humidity very quickly and maybe split the thing.

how do you go about this proscess?

Bovida makes humidity packs at various percentages. they work like beads.

-or-

if you have an unseasoned humi use that.

Step 1 - Take your cigars and put them in a non-humidified humidor. You want to bring the cigars to a steady humidity level that is much less than 70%. Let them sit in this environment for about 2-3 days.

Step 2 - Take a fresh clean sponge and get it damp with distilled water. put it in the humi and let it to sit there, not touching any cigars, for at least one more week. This will slowly add humidity to the cigars at a rate that will prevent the wrapper from bursting.

Step 3 - After two weeks your cigars should start to look a lot healthier. Put them in your charged, maintained humidor at this point. Don't smoke them yet. Let them rest for (a loooooong) while.

no "extra" humi?

tupperware. throw a few bits of spanish cedar in there so when you add the sponge itll soak up some humidity.

remember SLOWLY!!

How's the outside humidity where you're at? If it's reasonably humid and it's only been a weekend, i don't see a huge issue. According to the weather where you're at, it was pretty humid today. If the weather's been pretty much the same, I don't think you have an issue.

If it was in the car in a bag, I don't think you've got a problem at all. Just give it a few days in the humi...couple weeks to be sure.

If it's dry there and wasn't in a bag....um...see above.

Honestly, just smoke it. It was only one cigar right? Not a whole box? I will be honest, I have had a BOX of AF Cuban Corona's in the center console of my truck, (Black F150 with Black leather interior and black dash) for TWO YEARS and I still smoke them on road trips. It has been as cold as -5 and as hot as 105 outside, so it had to be atleast 125 in my truck. Even though the oils have died up a bit, they smoke decent and the taste fine! I wouldn't worry about it. It should be fine.

Capt