inhaling

Joined Jan 2005
4 Posts | 0+
Does anyone else inhale their cigars? I do but I'm a little worried about the health effects.

I don’t. If cigarettes aren’t good for your lungs, I doubt cigars will be any better. Everyone that I know that smokes cigars also do not inhale.

smokeyjoe27 said:
Does anyone else inhale their cigars? I do but I'm a little worried about the health effects.

Hi SJ,

Myself I don't, but then again I am a cigarette smoker too, so I'm getting enough carcinogens from that. In my early days of cigar smoking I did try inhaling them, thinking it would be like a cigarette too. The first time I did, I got VERY nauseous and the room started spinning. But anyhow, I find that it is much more enjoyable to "taste" the smoke rather than inhale it. A cigar to me is something to enjoy, and not a habit.

What are some of your favorites to have?

Best To You All,

Barry

I inhaled cigs, pipes and cigars. Why smoke if you don't inhale? Yes, it get tar in your lungs, but nothings perfect. :wink:

When I first took cigars seriously (about 3 years ago) I was a cigarette smoker. After exhaling the mouthful of cigar smoke I would pull just alittle into my lungs. Quit cigarettes over 1 1/2 years ago and took cigars back up in late 2004...I don't inhale anymore. No need. A good cigar just tastes great. :D

Here's a tip, and it's not an opinion, it's a FACT.

If you inhale cigars, you are ASKING FOR TROUBLE!!!

Some people know that, and still inhale them, just like some people know that climbing Mt. Everest is dangerous but still do it.

Your life is your own, and you are now on your own, but what I told you is not speculation, it is a fact. A cigar has MANY TIMES the nicotine of a cigarette. Cigars smoked on a moderate basis, and I mean by people who do NOT inhale them, only increase the risk of various cancers i.e., throat and mouth by a small margin, but if you inhale them, you are not only vastly increasing the risk of those cancers, but adding the risk of lung cancer. Inhaling cigars is for people who like to live dangerously. If that's you, go for it, but don't complain to anyone ten years from now if inhaling cigars becomes a habit and you suffer from it.

In addition to lung cancer, oral cancers, lets not forget Bladder cancer. The number 1 cause of bladder cancer (my best friends husband has lever 4) is smoking. Bad juju!

A big problem with lung cancer is that you can have it for 15 years without being aware of it, then poof, your brain is full of tumors and life begins to really stink!

I think its your own bidness wether to inhale or not , but I say its kinda like comparing beer to wine. you dont guzzle wine like beer. and I wouldnt smoke Cigars like cigarettes. Sounds a little stuffy and fancy smancy,but its not. The flavor and aroma of cigars cant be fully experienced by full bore cigarete smokers,and I know because I was a smoker for 30 years. I found I could smell and taste so much more after I quit. I actually enjoy the smell of cigaretes when someone lights up near me. But I no longer can inhale a cigarete, ive tried. Good luck if tryin to quit cigs, but if not "happy smoking" Its a right I strongly defend.

drgn76, you are correct. It is your business if you inhale a cigar or smoke a cigarette. I remember loving the smell of pipe tobacco!

But, the reality is that like many enjoyable habits, it has its downside. If your genetic makeup is one that doesn't much care for carcinogens in the lungs, the rest of your body will pay! Some folks smoke forever and never suffer a bit. Others smoke for a few years and end up with a variety of pulmonary disorders. Not to mention the (I believe) number one killer these days, cardiac disorders!

Free will is a wonderful thing!

thanx Lfox.

Im sure(I hope) every smoker on here knows the danger of our little vice. I was a Paramedic for 18 years in FD. Ive seen the bad.
I just wasnt gonna preach the medical aspects of smoking . I enjoy relaxing and having the feel of a little luxury in lighting up a fine stick. I want my friends and neighbors(hopefuly now all yall) to feel the same way.

Of course smokyjoe27 did ask about the health effects.So that means we can give medical reasons for not inhaling.

How about this joe- itll kill ya quicker than life itselfe but could make ya a burden to your loved ones when you end up with COPD,Emphysema,stroke, and have to be wheeled around with O2 bottle/tubing strapped to ya fighting for every breath everyday until you slowly (yrs) succumb as your lungs give out fill with fluid.

In just one year after quiting cigarette smoking your lungs will be 95% healed and soon after will be as the were before cigarettes.

There ya made me say it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now lets lightup and enjoy our freedom.

In just one year after quiting cigarette smoking your lungs will be 95% healed and soon after will be as the were before cigarettes.

That is, however, only true if you have not already developed cancer or other perm. lung disorders!

Right you are! I quit smoking cigarettes in 1990! So, I am hoping all is good on my home front!

FYI, its Dudette! :lol:

Cigar smoking is meant to be a palatable hobby, if you're going to inhale, you might as well be smoking swishers or other drug store sticks, if it's not the flavor you want, then go with the cheap stuff.

Cigars contain a higher amount of tar/nicotine than cigarettes. Plus, any active ingredients are absorbed through the membranes in the mouth and into the blood. In a nut-shell, aside from the shear enjoyment of the smoking ritual, you'll get the chemical effect without inhaling. Just lookin' out for my fellow enthusiasts.

DM 8)

I have found on occasion, that if I smoked a larger cigar too fast(over a year since it happened), even though I don't inhale, I would get pretty sick from the nicotine overdose. Empty Stomach was usually the culprit, but I found that if I ete a bit, then took my time, and really enjoyed the cigar as it was meant to be, I was fine....much worse nicotine rush than my first 'dip'. First time it happened, I was clueless.
With some cigars, I have to give it a bit of a French Inhale to get a few more of the taste notes, or let the smoke go to the back of my throat to make it go through my nose.
The Drew Estate 'Nectar' Ambrosia was one such smoke. Very strong clove so it almost demanded more creative measures, and toying with to enjoy the smoke's note. That sucker took me right back to the old 80's clubs with the DayGLo Girls, and their clove cigarettes(Oh man those were some days!)

Ummmmmm, 80's. :roll: :wink:

DayGlo Girls??? :duh:

Please remember, Grandpa is old, blond and a hermit since the age of 12.

Please explain DayGlo Girls. I already know about the 80's :barf: and clove cigarettes. :roll:

:neer:

:cryinlaugh:

:help:

day glo girls were girls that dressed in stupid outfits so loud and bright they would blind you to look at them in the day time. clove cigaretts were flavored cigaretts had a very strange taste and kindof crackled when you smoked them, they were also very sweet making them a favorite among girls and girly guys. lol. the smell of an acid one kindof reminds me of those things. legend has it the cloves make your lungs bleed or somthing, dont know if theres anything to that.